Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blkhatpersian

Solid State Member
First of all, I woud like to say hello to everyone. just registered and gotta say it looks like a great community to be a part of. Of course, the reason I signed up is because I have a problem on what to do with my cpu right now.

Okay, to start off, awhile ago my brother decided to buy me a Dell cpu for a favor and I must say it was pretty exciting at teh time when he told me the specs.

Dell Dimension 4550
1.8 ghz Pentium 4
512 DDR RAM
100 gb hard drive
64mb Video card

Overall awesome cpu for the average person. But, it wasn't built exactly for a gamer. the graphic card is a 64mb geforce 4mx 4200. yes, I know, my brother went the bargain route heh. This card has no pixel shader support so to say the least I can't play many new games at all and the ones I can play are at poor quality. To add to this misfortune, I also foudn out my motherboard was PCI only :confused:
The worst in both aspects heh.

I recently saved up a few dollars and started looking for a PCI graphics card. After looking everywhere, I thought the best card I could find was this:

256mb 9250 ATI Card(Click)

It's a good price, but when I showed my computer buddies, they said it wasn't worth it and I should altogther just build a new cpu for gaming.

So my final question is......

Do I buy this graphic card and If I do buy it, will it run newer games with good quality and will it last me awhile? Or do I just give on my current cpu and save up to buy a new one?

I Would appreciate any opinions :D

blkhatpersian

I'm in the same opinion with your computer buddies. A 9250 is really, really, really old news. It's not going to offer much performance over an MX series card. The processor is about to be below new games minimum specs.

I'd save up for a new machine. I'll be the smartest move for you. If you don't feel like you can do this, then you should upgrade to an FX5500 or, if you can find one, a PCI version of the 6200 series.

Ryan

thx to both of you with your opinions. I started looking at game requirements and 9250 is always at the bottom of the list. Is chumbo an easy company to deal with(tech support, return policy)?

I would say a new computer would be better for you in the long run cause once newer games come out and u won't beable to even play the games let alone have good graphics. I would save up for a hole new system then think about the graphics card. in the long run a new computer is much better for you to get then a graphic card.

I say just get a new mobo and cpu and a new videocard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116224

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130528

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814121197

total would be around $250 but it would do you pretty good considering you don have a lot of money, but if you did want to save up for a new comp then go with amd they are better than intel for gaming.All i can say is that no matter what videocard you stick in there the cpu will still hold you back so I say buy a new cpu. If your mobo supports agp 8x the n just get a soket 478 p4 and a new videocard.

BTW for you r information a CPU is a Central Proccesing Unit ...think you meant to say a PC - Persoanl Computer...hate to be the weasel but somethign you should learn :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom