Overclocking bfg 6800 GT OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greentoothed

Solid State Member
I bought BFG 6800 GT "Overclocked" version.

I was wondering if its safe to overclock this even more?
(does it seem necessary to overclock even more?)

Any DIY/FAQ on this?

ok, I just researched a found some info.

So simply, these are the steps to "overclock" a graphic card, correct?

1. Install the graphics card
2. let it run few days (or get into OCing right away if you bought a used card and know it works perfectly fine in stock temp level)
3. Download Cool Bits 2.0 and install it.
4. Go to advanced options and speed up the clock speed. preferrably 5mhz each for GPU and Memory.
5. Get aftermarket cooling add-on.

Question is, should I add additional cooling before or after over-clocking?
I know its good to have additional cooling even if you don't Overclock it, but is it safe to overclock the card without any added cooling(say you wanted to test overclocking one night, run some games, and add cooling the next day. is this safe?)?

you can overclock without the extra cooling. but you should still get the cooling. you will be able to reach higher overclocks with a new cooler. at each step you increment the frequency run something graphics intensive for a while, like a short stint on a game or 3Dmark. its not really necessary but thats how i like to do things just to be sure it is stable at each level. check out ATI Tool beta 0.25, it has a useful utility for checking if your overclock is stable called an artifact scanner. artifacts are basically computational errors by the graphics processor that show up as strange patches on screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom