Oh Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke87

In Runtime
I, before consulting the widom found on this site, became one of the Dell statistics. I purchase a Dell Dimmension 9100 about a year ago and I dropped a large sum of $1100 for the following system.

Processor - Intel P4 3.0 Ghz
Gpu - ATI X600 256 mb pci-e
Ram - 1 Gig pc 4200 samsung
dvd burner / cd burner combo
hd- 160 gig maxtor 7200 rpm
mobo- some dell peice of ****
psu - unknown

I guess aside from venting my anger at my stupidity, i was wondering if there is some way i can tell the wattage and make on my psu. wether it be a program or manually opening the case and reading some numbers. The reason for this is I plan on upgrading my weak GPU to a 7800gt or 6800 something. i am pretty sure Dell did not decide to be giving and throw in a 500 watt very nice psu. Also, if i need to buy a new one i was wondering if i need a special psu to be compatible with my dell case or if anyone will do?
any help is greatly apprecitated.

The only way to check what wattage your PSU is to open your case open and look on the side of it, should tell you. It should be in the top left corner of your computer.

If I were you though, I wouldn't get a good card like a 7800gt if you have a Dell mobo. If Dell's anything like Hewlett Packard, their mobo's are s***. I'd upgrad to something lowish-end, like a 6600gt, or 9800pro or something. If you want a 7800gt, I'd say, get a new mobo too.

The PSU on my old Dimension 8200 (purchased in 2002) was 250 watts! That was with a Northwood and a GeForce 4600 Ti. My bet for your 9100 is 300 watts, tops.

^^^thats what i did, bet decision of my LIFE, i replaced the mobo, psu, ram, and case, it is no longer a dell as a resul, and nor sh1t, and sold the stuff i took out on ebay, asa result, barly cost me a penny

well, i would prolly want a new cpu as i beleive mine is socket 6--. cant really remeber last 2 but i know first number is a 6. also i would like amd but i know that they do not suppport pc4200 yet so there is another 100 dolars i yould have to spebd, and buy that time i might as well by a new computer all together.....oh dell.

^^well this is exactly the same dilema i had, and decied i didnt use my pc eneugh to justifly building a new one, but i have to say, replacing the mobo had a huge effect, it allowed more ram, it dosnt crash all the time i OCed my cpu by 600mhz, it soo good, and it barly cost a thing, that is what i wopuld recomend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom