seagate, WD, or Maxtor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s00p3rg33k

Solid State Member
I'm looking to buy a new 80-120 gb hard drive; a seagate, Western Digital, or Maxtor. Which brand should I buy? Have any of you guys had bad experiences with any of these brands?

you should not really group the maxtor into that mix. out of those three brands or any other, i am almost positive it is the only manufacturer that makes an ATA133 drive.

something that crushes all of the other vanilla flavored ATA100 disks. its speed is unmatched except when talking about SATA. so if you want a fast IDE disk go maxtor. if you are looking for relaibility sacrificing speed from an IDE disk go seagate.

if you are looking at Serial ATA. . . . ask somebody else, i know next to nothing about them :)

Maxtor is faster but I have had a problem with them. Just for that reason I wouldnÂ’t use them. I use WD.

Im running two 80GB SATA Maxtors flawlessly. I also have an ancient 20GB Maxtor that holds my *.mp3 files that has been going strong for about 5 years now.

SEAGATE all the way for me.

I have lost too much to many Maxtors over the years.

how much faster is ATA133 to ATA100? I don't think it would be that much.
Seagate drives are known to be the quietest 7200RPM drives EVER, are along the best in reliability, and are actually less expensive than most or all brands (excluding cheap low-quality brands) of hard drives, although it sometimes depends on the store you go to.

Def not Maxtor. I've had 4 go on me now. Though, I have some 10 year old seagates and WDs that still work flawlessly. :)

Wow i figured everyone would be screaming WD. The important thing to look at these days is warranty. Most Maxtors have the one year. Seagate and WD still have many drives with 3yr warranty. My personal pref in order would be WD, Seagate, And any body but maxtor. I am in the group of people who have had many bad maxtor drives.

I am a Network Administrator and I also replace all my company's PC when they go out. I have never had a Seagate or a Maxtor drive fail. However, I have had several Western Digital drive go south on me but I have some Western Digital drives that are a few years old that have not had any problems. With today's hardware manufacturing techniques and quality control, it is rare to get bad drive.
Sure, some will fail but so could the next tire that you buy or the next TV or the next CD Player. Saying that one drive is better than another is like arguing about a Ford or Chevy. Some people are never going to agree. Look to the warranty, price and speed/size that best suits you.
-Target

i bought the samsung 120gb 7200rpm silent seek from newegg and it is better than any other hard drive i have ever owned. Quiter, as well as faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom