Putting 2 OS on HOW TO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthab

Baseband Member
Hi

As many of you know this is my thread http://techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=92335

Ive ordered an OEM copy of Pro x64 and a 160gb western digital SATA drive.

Now id like to know how im going to do this. Although i built my machine this is new to me (only 16) and i dont want to make a pigs ear of it! I have Xp home on a 160gb samsung SATA hard drive thats nearly full.

So im going to attempt this, some one correct me if possible if im wrong:

1) Install the hard drive and plug it into any availible SATA port!
2) BOOT pc and insert the X64 disc and then go into the xp install
3) Select the unparttioned drive and continue like you normally do installing windows.

Now im wondering how do i select OS on Boot up or is ther something i have to do, is there anything else i have to do?

Thanks
Matt

So basicly instal it like normal as the new drive should appear below the xp home in the xp x64 install area

Plug it into the Second SATA master port assuming the first is already being used and when istalling XP x64 choose the unpartitioned drive that has just been added it.

Your system is now ready to dual boot between Both operating systems and should work fine.

To see if you picked the right master port just enter your BIOS or CMOS and choose another port till you get the correct one.

Not much different from installing anyother MS OS the only difference is the Xp x64 repair isn't like it was before and it more like Server 2003s repair procedure which makes sense since it's based off that. Thats not bad but it's different and can be a pain if you repair often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom