Thinkin' about a new HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
I'm toying with the idea of a second hard drive. What do you guys reccommend? I want at least 120 GB, 7200 RPM and I believe my mobo is SATA150, I'll have to double check. Oh, and I don't want to spend more than $100- $120. I currently have a Maxtor, no problems, but I've heard good things about Western Digital and Seagate. So what's good? What things should I look out for/ in to/ pay attention to? What kind of things are important when considering a HDD? Thanks.

I picked up my current hard drive at Best Buy for $80 or so (great sale).

I checked Fry's. If you don't mind going with ATA, they have a super-sweet deal right now. 16MB buffer!

Seagate ST3250623A-RK 250GB PATA
# 7200 RPM
# 16 MB Buffer
# Retail kit hard drive
# 5 Year Manufacture Warranty
Price: $ 119.99
After Rebate: $ 69.99

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4596257

What's good? Seagate, Western Digital. Seagate has the better warranty.

What to look for? Cache size can be a stumbling block. Don't grab one with a 2MB buffer or you're screwed for speed. Spindle speed (5400 are old drives, but they are still out there). NCQ is good.

What's important? Performance, warranty, bang for the $.

Crap, I'm gonna need a refresher on all my HDD ports. Is ATA the same as IDE or is it another thing entirely? ATA is slower than SATA correct?

ATA is the same as IDE but ATA is just the real name and IDE is just one of the abbreviations. and yes SATA is faster than IDE

Samsung Spinpoint 250gb HDD's are really good, im planning on getting another very soon.
They're great for the money :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom