MSI Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSI is an initialism and file extension for Microsoft Installation files. They differ from legacy "setup.exe" files, which were/are executables designed to do the entire work of installing software. An MSI package is instead an OLE-structured database file that provides the application description and installation instructions so that the Windows Installer can perform the installation. ...

Thanks to tall dude I now understandwhat an MSI files is. I need to know one additional thing:

When I download an MSI file from download.microsoft.com what do I do with the file in order to make use of it? If it was an EXE file I would doubble click on the file, thereby launching it. The program would do the task of setting up the software on the PC. What do I do with the MSI file?

You just double click like normal to start the installation of the software. The software to use a .msi is preinstalled with Windows. If not then you can download it from Microsoft's website.

jbc said:
Thanks to tall dude I now understandwhat an MSI files is. I need to know one additional thing:

When I download an MSI file from download.microsoft.com what do I do with the file in order to make use of it? If it was an EXE file I would doubble click on the file, thereby launching it. The program would do the task of setting up the software on the PC. What do I do with the MSI file?

Same way, sometimes you cant run the msi, it needs to be the .exe that runs, but if you just downloaded the msi, well then thats ok, just run it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom