Is it the MB or the CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxGross

Beta member
Hi everyone!

A little less than a year ago I built a computer for my housemate with the following specs:

ECS 865PE-A7 (V1.0) Motherboard
Pentium 4 530J, LGA775 3.0GHz processor
512MB VDATA DDR400 RAM
Radeon 9200 AGP 8X Video Card
160GB Western Digital Caviar HDD
LG DVD Burner

A few weeks ago during some hot weather the computer stopped booting up. When you power it on the CPU fan and case fans start up but the power LED does not come on and nothing comes up on the display. It gives one little beep when the power button is pushed and sometimes gives another a few seconds later, but other times doesn't.

I have disconnected everything (front panel connectors other than power switch, all drives, all usb ports, all PCI cards) from the MB except the fan connectors (CPU and two case fans), the RAM, the CPU and the AGP card.

I have tested the RAM in another system and it works, tried RAM from another system in the faulty one with no luck.

I have removed the AGP card and tried a PCI display adapter, no luck.

I have cleared the CMOS with no luck.

I have connected a different and known working PSU (with a higher wattage than the current one) with no luck!

I have to assume that I now have it narrowed down to either the MB or CPU.

My question is: Is there an easy way to tell which one it is that is causing the problem (without having another MB to test the CPU in or another CPU to test in the MB)?

I haven't yet removed the CPU as it's not something I like to do too often if I don't have to. Would an overheated CPU show any physical signs of having overheated? Also the installation instructions that come with the CPU state that if the heatsink is removed the thermal interface patch needs to be replaced, yet I have read on other threads here people saying that you can just put the same one back in?

Any help is much appreciated!

Mat

I have looked over the entire board and it all looks OK - not 100% sure what I'd be looking for though? None of the capacitors look mishapen or discoloured or anything like that and neither does anything else on the board.

1. Remove the mobo from the case, place on an insulated surface, and re-test....... mobo may be 'shorted to case!
2. Remove CPU...... inspect for 'burnt marks', then re-install
properly( thermal grease,heatsink,fan).
3. If 1& 2 still fail...... try to get a local shop to test your CPU.

Cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom