Multiple rom drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamL

Baseband Member
I have win XP home sp2. i recently bought a lite-on cd-rw/dvd-r drive and installed it along with my sony cd-r drive. when i go into the bios it says that everything is A-OK but when i load windows there is a problem. the comp freezes at the win XP loading screen. the little blue bar goes for a little while and then just stops. the 2 drives work seperatley but not together. i tried a different cd-r drive with the same results. I'm putting it under the Windows forum because i know these drives are good and configured corectly but windows doesn't like them. I uninstalled the drivers, hooked up the two drives and restarted windows but it still didn't work.

Windows runs in safe mode and the device manager says it sees both drives. unfortunately the My Computer screen sows only one drive and when i put media in both, the one drive combines all the media as one drive. i've heard of this problem for win 98 but not for XP. Can someone please help a guy out!?

while in safe mode, scan for viruses using your antivirus program.

download crap cleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com

it will clean out any registry settings that may cause windows to malfunction, and clean out your HD.

have you tried updating XP?
If that doesnt work, try making sure the drives are wired in okay inside the computer.

download msconfig cleanup, boot into safe mode, go to msconfig>startup, uncheck everything but your av, then run msconfig cleanup to remove the entries but before you do this, make sure the entries are checked, if they are not then dont run this tool. Have you tried uninstalling them? What software do you have installed that requires cd burning? Can you see the drives in my computer? about the msconfig program, if you can get into normal mode, then run it like i said.

Do you have themn installed correctly? The BIOS may recognize them but that doesnt mean they are installed 100% correctly.

1 a master and 1 a slave? Which is the Master device? The Combe drive should be the master.

The Sony CD ROM should be the slave. It could also be that these devices are conflicting with each other and that is why Windows wont load. Have you tried each device seperately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom