Password Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnmmichael

Beta member
Hello

I'm currently using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition on all networked users in my house. I want to add password protection to certain shared folders to make them private, so that not all documents can be viewed by other people. Is this possible to do so? I don't mind if it is hard, but I need step-by-step instructions.

Thankyou SOOO much,
Michael

mnmmichael said:
Hello

I'm currently using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition on all networked users in my house. I want to add password protection to certain shared folders to make them private, so that not all documents can be viewed by other people. Is this possible to do so? I don't mind if it is hard, but I need step-by-step instructions.

Thankyou SOOO much,
Michael

shared and private!?

Yes. I know it sounds weird.

What I want to do is share my "My Documents" folder so that I can access it from any of the computers in my house. However, I also want it to be password-protected so that only I can access it when I'm at the other computers.

More Info:

I don't know if this helps at all, but all computers have exactly the same user names and passwords for their user accounts.

mnmmichael said:
Yes. I know it sounds weird.

What I want to do is share my "My Documents" folder so that I can access it from any of the computers in my house. However, I also want it to be password-protected so that only I can access it when I'm at the other computers.

turn on guest accounts, login as administrator when you are on it.

Couldn't I just make it so that when you try to open specific folders, a password dialouge box pops up?

Instead of mapping each hard drive to the other pc, what you can do is access it from the run box or explorer, example, \\coolermaster\my documents etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom