Review of my Asus build, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkp8426

Beta member
I recently purchased all of these components and would like to hear some feedback on my new system. Im new to this site but it looked very resourceful, so here it goes. Everything was bought new off TigerDirect.com.

-Windows XP Professional $139.99
-PQI 1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 PC5400 667MHz (2x512)x(2)=2gb $170
-Asus P5LD2 Socket 775 Motherboard $130( Asus MOBO )
-Maxtor 250GB SATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA150 $85
-Thermaltake TR2 500W ATX 2.0 PFC 12CM Fan PSU $85(PSU )
-Asus VENTO 3600 Dream Gaming Gamer Case - Black $140(VENTO )
-Intel Pentium D 930 3.0Ghz DT 800FSB Socket 775 $350 (CPU )
-Xmidia GeForce 6600GT 512MB GDDR3 PCIe w/DVI/TV-OUT $180 (GFX CARD )

Everything else I have already (LCD, mouse, keyboard, sound). Total for the above was around ~1250. It feels like I got great prices on these parts. I shopped around at NewEgg.com, CDW.com, etc. and some were cheaper, some were pricier, but I liked the TigerDirect site alot and also XP Pro was ~$40 from everywhere else.

Please let me know what you guys think. I had a TIGHT budget limit so I couldn't exceed 1200 really. I tried pricing on Dell.com with similar components, and it skyrocketed towards $2k. So I feel like this is a deal for a trustworty CPU and MOBO.This setup is going to be for strictly gaming purposes. BF2, Quake 4, Doom 3, CODII, etc. Pretty much to run all the latest titles & more.

Dang, it's for gaming and you went with intel? AMD is all around better in gaming than intel processors, but it's not too big of an issue.
Also, they made a 512MB 6600GT?! I know it looks nice, but the 6600GT wont be able to use all of it, I think it will just slow things down with all of that in there.

Well, honestly, if gaming is you're objective... AMD would have been a better way to go.

You could of went with:
DFI Lanparty UT Nf4 Ultra D - $130
AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core = $296
GSKILL Extreme Series LL's 2X1GIG = $194
Seagate Cuda 250G SATA = $103
Antec Smart Power 500w = $64
Asus Vento Case = $139
Win XP Pro OEM = $140
eVGA 6800GS 256MB = $179

That's $1245 - All newegg.com prices.

That system would outperform and out benchmark the system you listed easily for the same money.

You might have been better off going for a motherboard with the 955x chipset, but I have that exact board you got and I havn't had any trouble with it.

The AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core compared to my Intel Pentium D 3.0ghz. It says the AMD's frequency is 2.0ghz. Could you explain to me the difference for their ratings or point me somewhere. Also, what do you mean it won't be able to use all 512mb. The game or system?

amd uses different process so the frequency is lower but the performance is the same as of intel's cpu with 3.8ghz
itsa lengthy explanation if u want detail read the sticky threads on this forum
but even beeing "intel fan" or whatever i still agree that amd is better for gaming
and many sources has prooven so online

The number on an AMD CPU (the 3800) says what the pentium equivalent is. 3800 AMD = 3.8GHz Pentium. The AMD kills the intel CPUs in gaming and AMD dual cores kill the intel ones. period. There is a graph on tomshardware or anandtech or somewhere that shows the performance of the various dual cores on the market. The 3800 is better than almost all of the Pentium Dual cores.

It's good. Very much like my friend's build. I got all computer (in sig) for 1250 USD shipped.

I would consider trying to get a refund on that 6600gt. It doesn't need 256mb's of memory. No where near powerful enough to use more than 128mb's, I only saw my old 6800 needing more than 128mb's in BF2 due to the draw distance being so large.

Its an alright system. You could always build it and sell it on ebay for a profit if you want and get the system stated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom