New rig locks up when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Istasi

Baseband Member
Alright, so, put together my new system, and up until a few hours ago it was going great. That is, until I tried playing BF2, the F.E.A.R. Demo, and City of Villains.

BF2: Let me set up my account and everything, and then I go to options so I can set everything to max (a X1900XT should be able to handle all of that, right?) and set the resolution higher. I set all of that, hit 'Apply' and a screen comes up saying I'll need to restart the game before the changes take effect. Now, however, things get bad. First, random static sounds start coming through my speakers, and the screen either freezes up or begins flashing random colors in different places on the screen. Ugh. Tried reinstalling, no luck.

F.E.A.R. Demo: This once again worked until I went to change the graphics settings. I set everything to max, and all seems well until the mouse starts freezing up and I get an error window from my ATi Catalyst Control Center saying there was a problem and asking me if I wanted to send an error report. I manage to get back in the game, but this happens again. And again. And again.

City of Villains: This one's the simplest. I start the game, it gets to the log in screen, I can enter a few letters of my username, it freezes.

Here's my system:
Antec P180
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
Powercolor X1900XT
Antec TruePower 2.0 550W
AMD Opteron 165
G.SKILL 2GB (2x1GB) DDR SDRAM
Samsung Floppy Drive
250GB SATA II 16mb cache Western Digital HDD
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard
Logitech MX518 Mouse
X-Fi ExtremeMusic
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Scythe Ninja Heatsink
Dell 2005FPW 20.1" Widescreen LCD Monitor

When I feel my graphics card, it's certainly warm, but not hot or anything. Also, when I played the Age of Empires III demo, it worked beautifully, no hiccups whatsoever. What's the problem?

Are you using the power supply that came with the case? If so, that's the problem.

no,hes using the antec tp 2, whihc isbnt a problem. id say uve got some vid card problems, mab driver issues, supposedlty some of those witht he x1900xt as of now cause no ATI official drivers for it yet

Ahh, I missed that. It IS still possible that the psu is to blame, just unlikely. Have you made sure nothing is overheating?

Turns out it was my RAM. I had to manually set the timings in the BIOS, now everything works beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom