Purchasing laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
Alright well I'm in the market for a laptop and am hoping to spend less then 1500 canadian, which is about 1300 american. Here are things I would like to get from my laptop:

1. Over 2 hour battery life
2. at least 512 memory
3. Able to play a playstation 1 and n64 emulator
4. Able to play most games pre doom3, half life 2 era

So I'm thinking I'll need a non integrated graphics card, can anyone make any suggestions on what laptop I should get or how good of a video card I will be needing? I wish I could just order from newegg because I saw some good ones there but they dont ship to canada unfortuanetly.

I dont need an operating system, I'll just slap a copy of xp pro on it anyways probably, I hate all the customized operating systems that HP and people like those put on.

I bought a laptop and let me tell you, it didn't take long before i realised what a big mistake i made. i play those games and it can't run jack. Do you really need a laptop? cos for games they are terrible.

do yourself a favour and build a desktop, unless you really really need the portability.

I have a desktop already that's decent and can play doom3, half life2, and such on high settings at 1024x768, probably even 1280x1024. I'm going to university soon so I'll need a laptop to take to class, and i figured I'll probably use it now for going to my dads house (really shitty comp there), so it'd be nice to be able to do n64 and stuff on it. Of all things I mostly want to run warcraft 3 on decent settings and emulators.

hrm you should be able to get a laptop fairly cheap to just play emulators.... my friend has an old vaio with 512 ram and 64 mb integrated graphics and can play the 2..... if my friends crappy emachines with 128 mb ram can play n64.. i'm pretty sure pretty much any laptop you buy now will be able to play playstation and n64 emulators

possibly this one? amd 3400+ processor!
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1161689&CatId=1900

and if you don't mind refurbished... 3700+!!!!
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1697068&CatId=1900

they all come with 512mb ram.. and that refurbished one is pretty cheap 900 something .. to lazy to check again.... 64 mb integrated.. but that'll get you by for emulation

yea, i have an absolutely ordinary Toshiba laptop from 03 with integrated intel graphics, and it can play anyting fine: that is, until you get to this generation fo games.

Anyways, yea, get an ordinary laptop and you'll be fine.

edit: the refurbished one is 1 gig... go with that.

oh wow, its got pci express too... thats a really good laptop... i should read more, i think tigerdirect does international shipping, but i'm not 100% on that

That refurbished one looks good, but is s bit heavy and I question its battery abilities, I need at least 2 hours. I checked newegg and saw this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115218

It has a x700 graphics card, and a nice and large hard drive, 1 gig of ram and a mobile processor, thus using less battery life.

In honesty im thinking that refurbished one will be lucky to go an hour on batterys.

The one in my link looks nice, too bad its on newegg and not a canadian site, time to hunt for similar ones on canadian sites i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom