cooling dual hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianthekiller

Baseband Member
I currently have 2 hard drives in a system that has room for a maximum of 2 hard drives. I'm having heat trouble. My average speed fan report has my primary HD at 40 degrees celcius, and my other at about 50. I have alot of information that I cant afford to lose, so getting these drives cooled is an absolute must. What solution would you guys recommend that I go with to get this done? I'm not experienced with hard drive coolers, so I'm not sure how these work or if I even have room to accomodate one. Thanks in advance.

you probably wouldn't have room for a hard drive cooler. If it's a possibility, mount a simple 80mm fan in front of the drives, blowing the air into the rest of the back of the computer. Case modding is the most effective way to keep your PC cool.

Ryan

What I've done so far: I opened the case and repositioned the wiring to improve airflow as much as possible. I did notice that my IDE cable was blocking off a portion of the vent, so I moved it and now my secondary HD is idling at 42-43C.. I'd be much more comfortable in the 30-35C range. I have a spare Antec SmartCool 80mm fan that I could use. How would I go about mounting it? I've never done a case mod.

it might be easyer just to buy a different case, or you can get adapter brackets to mount your had disks in the 5.25" bays. that way youll have much more air around them.

I worked with what I had. I have an adapter that used to make a 80mm fan fit in a 60mm CPU fan slot. I ( very carefully and securely ) duct taped the adapter over my HD vent. Then I mounted the 80 mm fan into the slot. Now, my hard drives are running at 33 and 27 Celcius, and my case actually cooled down by 5 degrees celcius as well.

brianthekiller said:
I worked with what I had. I have an adapter that used to make a 80mm fan fit in a 60mm CPU fan slot. I ( very carefully and securely ) duct taped the adapter over my HD vent. Then I mounted the 80 mm fan into the slot. Now, my hard drives are running at 33 and 27 Celcius, and my case actually cooled down by 5 degrees celcius as well.
excellent work MacGuyver..

Since I only have one internal HDD, and one external, I used the extra space for the second drive to put in 2 case fans. Brought temp down from 37C to 29C :)

Kompas0042.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom