hard drive partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

talldude123

Banned
i just picked up a 30 GB hard drive from a 2000 compaq presario (luckily it worked!) and i partitioned it with 20 GB going to XP Pro, and have 10 GB remaining.

How would i install windows 2000 SP4 on the leftover 10 GB?
Unfortunately, my 2000 disc is a CD-R, so it doesnt have a boot image.
How would i make a boot image? MagicISO?
The only "real" OS i have is windows 95, and windows xp.

it should just create a dual boot menu automatically when win2000 installs on the blank space if XP pro is already installed.

yeah that isn't that hard to set up. if you use something like Fedora Core 4 it can auto configure grub for you and you should be able to dual boot no worries. if you want to do something like that i would post another thread in the linux section and get those guys to help you configure a boot loader like Grub because pretty much anyone there has set up a boot loader.

sorry it won't work like that. check out the MSKB. the general rule is that if you multiboot windows you have to go in chronological order, i.e. 95,98,ME,2K,XP etc. otherwise they mess with each others boot data. try using a dos boot disk and navigating by commands to start the installer.

I think its different for 2k and XP as they are basically the same OS.

would it be possible to have 20 GB going to windows, and 10 GB going to linux

Yes, that will work as long as you have installed windows first. Then Linux will install a bootloader like LILO or GRUB into the master boot record so you can dual boot. Windows will not do that.

i already have XP Home installed right now,

and i am going to download Linux OpenSUSE or see if its on file-sharing.

totally new to linux, just wanna try it out

i tried it ONCE before, because one of the computers at school is linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom