What Is the best monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people here will tell you to get a CRT because it is pretty much a rule that hardcore gamers use CRTs because at one time, they were far superior as far as refresh rate was concerned.

Ghosting isn't a problem anymore with newer LCDs though, and many gamers who haven't used an LCD in recent times don't realize this. If you get an LCD with 8ms or lower you wont have a ghosting problem.

A huge advantage of CRTs is resolution scaling, because LCDs have distorted image quality at resolutions other than the native resolution. Being as the native resolution of the LCD is 1280x1024, you won't want to play at 1024x768, which is the resolution most CRT owners game at because of its exceptional balance between eye candy and performance. Being as you have an X1900XT, you won't have to worry about being required to play at 1024x768 for quite some time, but if you prefer to play at that resoolution for the extra performance edge it provides, get yourself a CRT.

If you use your computer for gaming as well as other stuff, such as office apps and web surfing, etc, you probably should invest in a decent LCD because CRTs are very hard on your eyes. I was fine with it at first, but after a while, it really weared down on me and it was such a relief when I got my LCD.

Yes, CRT's are the Best for gamming, HOWEVER, LCD's with a response time of 8ms or less are Fine for games, there will be no ghosting. LCD's have lower image quality then CRT's but so what, it probably isn't bad enough to warrant "LCD's Suck". Find a LCD with a 8 ms or less response time and a Pixel Pitch as low as possible and It wil do fine.

The problem I have with LCD's is right now, I can play any game I want at 1280X1024 for a LCD, but in 6 months I will not be able to (Far cry for example will not be able to run at high resolutions on my 7800gt, with out having to go down to medium settings.)

I have just purchased a Iiyama vision master pro 514 crt monitor.

Yeah, I really miss my CRT...if I still had it, I could at least keep my 7800gt for 1-2 years, but in order to play at 1280x1024, I have to upgrade to the G80 or go SLI.

can you please explain to me why u hvae to upgrade ur video card?? i dont get it.. is it like i have to have a top video card to play the top game at that time for 1280x1024 to look good? then how come that guy said he has 7800GT but cant play Farcry at 1280x1024? 7800gt is way newer than Farcry, or im missing somin, please explain.

123Justin said:
can you please explain to me why u hvae to upgrade ur video card?? i dont get it.. is it like i have to have a top video card to play the top game at that time for 1280x1024 to look good? then how come that guy said he has 7800GT but cant play Farcry at 1280x1024? 7800gt is way newer than Farcry, or im missing somin, please explain.

He's talking about Far Cry 2, which is the next big graphical showcase from CryTek. Everybody will want a G80 though for that game anyways, no DX9 card will be able to max it out because it will be a DX10 game. All the jaw-dropping graphical features will only be available on DX10 cards, which is rumoured to render graphics 8x faster than DX9.

ohh... so say i have a 6800GS, and a lcd monitor that support 1280x1024, will i be able to play CS:S and BF2 good on that setting? or will i need somin more like a 7800GT??

It will be fine now, but it will not be in the future or if you play FEAR alot. I wouldn't want to have to sacrifse the settings to run it at a resolution my monitor has to have it at to get a good picture.

1024x768 is the gaming standard, and its the resolution games are meant to be played at. If you want a system that will be ready for resolutions higher than 1024x768 long-term, you can either upgrade your video card every 6 months or so, or get an SLI setup. Or you can just get a CRT and play at 1024x768 with awesome image quality.

I am planning on getting one G80 this summer, and getting a second later on and SLI'ing them so I can keep playing at 1280x1024 when games get too demanding to handle it on a single G80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom