AGP, Kill it or Keep it?

What do you think of this idea?

• I would love something like that, but I don't know how to create it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would love to work on creating something like that.

• Something like that already exists.

• That wouldn't be useful to many people.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrZucchiniHead

Daemon Poster
ok AGP has been hanging around by a thread ever scice the 7 series cards came out and i think it's time to settle the qeustion, Keep AGP or Kill it. i found a website that told me the specs of AGP, and had to go to toms hardware for PCI-E specs

AGP specs:
AGP (1x): 66MHz clock, 8 bytes/clock, Bandwidth: 266MB/s [3.3V or 1.5V signal swing]
AGP 2x: 133MHz clock, 8 bytes/clock, Bandwidth: 533MB/s [3.3V or 1.5V signal swing]
AGP 4x: 266MHz clock, 16 bytes/clock, Bandwidth: 1066MB/s [1.5V signal swing]
AGP 8x: 533MHz clock, 32 bytes/clock, Bandwidth: 2.1GB/s [0.8V signal swing], still uses 1.5 volt motherboard power

PCI-E specs:
3.jpg

Although the 7800GS is most likely to be the last AGP card ever made, do you think they should still produce AGP mobo's and cards after a year or 2 from now, or just make every mobo and video card with PCI-E in about a year or 2?

So you're saying that if one thread on one obscure forums decides that AGP is to be kept or thrown away, the rest of the world will follow whatever we decide?

Keep it. Why not? What's it to you? If I want a 7800GS, I'll get it.

don't encourage him. I say let AGP slip away. Make the cards they have in production now and for a good 6 months or so, but it really is holding things up. For example, I have a friend...

He recieved a video card that was owned by someone else for probably 18 months. He's had it for about 2 years now, waiting for his 'good build.' He won't build the stupid machine and wants to make sure he uses his 'good video card' that he has. Guess what it is? A Radeon 9250 of some variety. He doesn't realize that AGP is the OLD technology. He merely thinks it's an alternative. People like this are confused, and sometimes people need to make decisions for people like my friend.

Kill AGP w/in a year, not 2.

Ryan

Whats sad is that many retail PCs still only include PCI(Standard) slots. I think there should be no 8 series cards in AGP, but they did the right thing by bringing the 7 series to AGP since so many people still have AGP motherboards. By the time of the 8 series, people with AGP will need an entire system upgrade anyways, so that will be a great time to kill it for good.

Fine get ride of them if you wish I support it but I don't think many others will actually stop manufacturing it.

Originally posted by FghtinIrshNvrDi
People like this are confused, and sometimes people need to make decisions for people like my friend.
lmao, that's true for a whole lot of things

So what if my 7800GS wtfpwns your 6800Ultra? Still kill it? What if my 6800GS AGP is just as good as your 6800GS PCI-E, what then?

I don't see the point of this thread. If you're trying to convince the Forum that PCI-E is better, then don't bother, everyone already knows. If you're trying to phase out AGP, again, don't bother, you won't be able to do that. No one suggests PCI-E cards anyways, so its pretty pointless.

Don't encourage me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom