How do I delete protected operating system files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

provoko

Baseband Member
How do I delete protected operating system files in Windows XP?

Thanks for any help.

Edit:
For anyone that seriously wants to know the long drawn out story of WHY I would want to do this, then so be it:

A long time ago I partitioned my hard drive into four partitions, using partition magic 8. Later on I took the last two drives and merged them to my D drive leaving me with two partitions. But what was left on drive D were two folders saying "contents of old drive." I looked inside them and found nothing except for a system file called "system volume information."

To this day there is nothing inside those folders except protected operating system files. I tried a few methods of deleting them like turning system restore off, but sadly didn't work.

All I want to do is delete those two folders that contain useless protected operating system files from partitions that don't exist any more.

FINAL EDIT:
PROBLEM SOLOVED

I found the solution:
You are supposed to delete them in system recovery console, but before you go into that you're supposed to change some settings in windows, heres a link:
http://www.petri.co.il/recovery_console_access_to_other_partitions.htm

Problem solved. =)
Thanks for trying. =) I appreciate it.

Sorry I forgot to mention the OS, it's Windows XP. I'm also using NFTS and I'm not talking about system restore files if that also helps.

Thanks.

Is there a specific reason why u want to delete XP System files? Playing with them just results in a messed up OS.

msconfig > boot.ini tab> safeboot , in safe mode try deleting. if it does not work use run> cmd and DOS delete commands to delte the files.

if you do not understand what i just said or have no idea what you are doing, do not attempt this. you have a high risk of corrupting windows.

Are you bargaining with me? I tell you why, you tell me how? Haha.

If you seriously want to know the long drawn out story, then so be it:

A long time ago I partitioned my hard drive into four partitions, using partition magic 8. Later on I took the last two drives and merged them to my D drive leaving me with two partitions. But what was left on drive D were two folders saying "contents of old drive." I looked inside them and found nothing except for a system file called "system volume information."

To this day there is nothing inside those folders except protected operating system files. I tried a few methods of deleting them like turning system restore off, but sadly didn't work.

All I want to do is delete those two folders that contain useless protected operating system files from partitions that don't exist any more.

Thanks for taking into the consideration that I know nothing about computers, but I've been using computers for almost 10 years now and I know whats safe and what's not.
Thanks ekÆsine for the method, I'll try that.

ekÆsine said:
msconfig > boot.ini tab> safeboot , in safe mode try deleting. if it does not work use run> cmd and DOS delete commands to delte the files.

if you do not understand what i just said or have no idea what you are doing, do not attempt this. you have a high risk of corrupting windows.

I tried both your methods, but they didn't work. I went into safe mode, still access was denied to delete.

Those dos commands I used to delete the folders didn't work. I used del and RD, but theres nothing to del, yet when I tried to RD the folder it said that it wasn't empty.

Any other suggestions? Thank you.

make a DOS batch file using the DEL command

del *.* or del process.dll

save batch as file.bat
plave the batch file in your folder where that file is
double click bat file to run it

if this still does not work the only other way is slave the hard disk to another computer and with that other computer's operating system delete those files.

you could use the same computer, but you have to make sure the other operating system boots instead of the operating system you want to delete files from.

....wait, i just had a better idea just now. goto knoppix.org, download the CD image for latest version of knoppix. use a cd burner to burn the CD image to a blank CD. boot with knoppix and use it to delete you files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom