Socket M2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonPorkchop

Daemon Poster
I had a few questions about it. First of all, I've seen a few people call it AM2. Is that the correct name? What does the A mean? It supports DDR2, but will you be able to use DDR memory on it? I just bought a stick of 1 gig and wanted to know if it will work. And finally, will AMD release any opterons or will it strictly be the Athlon/Semprons?

i think socket m2 was designed for AMD processors to run with DDR2 ram so i dunno if regular DDr will work. Some motherboard manufacturer might make some sort of hybrid board for both DDR and DDR2 if its possible.

I guessing the memory controller on M2 cpus going to be DDR2 only so the motherboard manufactors wont even have a option to put DDR on it.

eventually but i fear at a cost a lot greater than good overclocking DDR. the thing is i agree with gaara (i think it was gaara who said this a while back) that the key reason AMD is moving to M2 and consequently DDR2 isn't to improve the processor line and please the customer, it is to please memory manufacturers. i don't think the AMD line will benefit much from the higher clock of DDR2, unlike if you provide it with some decent DDR and overclock it.

my opinion is that its a leap forward that should happen. If they can push out decent low latency DDR2 i have no probs with it.

I dont have enough money for good overclocking DDR so i dont really care about that :p

They'll make it work and provide more memory bandwidth. The thing is... We don't really need it. I guess it's just another cycle of improving the hardware in the event that the software does start taking that much bandwidth up.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom