Making the switch from 1GB to 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
I'm undecided on how to go about doing this. Right now I have 1gb of Ram (2 x 512), and i'm going to upgrade to 2 gb.

- If I bought another 2 x 512mb and put them in the other 2 slots, it would downclock the memory, no?

- Should I just sell the 2 x 512mb and buy 2 x 1gb?

Just trying to figure the easiest way to do this.

if you bought another 2x 512mb it wouldnt downclock the ram. For best results, try to get the same brand and model ram as your current ram.

Selling the 512mb sticks is an option if you want to. It will give you more flexibility having 2x 1gb rather than 4x 512mb.

Benchmarks by G4-Tech TV, have proven that more ram than 1GB is not better. And, if you have 4 DIMM slots, your two sticks of memory should be in 1 and 3, not 1 and 2.

if you bought another 2x 512mb it wouldnt downclock the ram.
not necessarily. Some mobos will downclock the RAM when all 4 slots are filled up but it also sometimes depends on whether the RAM is double sided or single sided and stuff like that. You'd have to check your mobo manual for that kind of specifications of course.

hold on, i was thinking about anothe gig of ram, making 2gb, you saying it wont have any effect, in fact it will make my sytem worse, is this true?

only having 2 slots populated shouldnt have the problem that Nubius describes. Having 2gb over 1gb is desputed, some say it gives no extra benefit.

aww crap, well do you think i should, sell my i gig and get a 2gig dual channel kit, or something else?

if you do decide to go 2gb i suggest you get a 2x 1gb kit rather than 4x 512mb but i personally think that 2gb is redundant compared to 1gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom