Removing Backplate from MSI K8N Neo4-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanM

Daemon Poster
Hey. I finally got all my stuff in and I'm assembling my PC :). However, I've gotten to the part where I need to install my HSF (Zalman 7000), and it says I need to remove the motherboard's stock backplate and replace it with the plastic one the Zalman comes with. It looks like it's just supposed to pull (or push) out, but after a slight bit of force it didn't budge. I don't want to damage the motherboard, so am I doing this right? It is possible the backplate is glued on? If any of you MSI K8N Neo4-F owners have any idea, let me know.

Edit: Finally got it off with a blow dryer. MAN my fingers hurt now from all that pressure and pulling.

After tons of Googling, I found this in an MSI Neo-4 Platinum FAQ:

"How to remove the backplate and install aftermarket cooling:

If you wish to install an aftermarket cooling-solution, you might have to remove the original backplate, unfortunately its glued to the board. Please be careful when removing this, so that you won't scratch the board in this sensitive area.
Do not pry or wedge it off the board as you can damage sensitive circut traces or contacts that could cause the motherboard to no longer work. Do not use solvents. "

BLAH! It's most likely glued to this one too. Meh. If anyone has any other suggestions before I try this (eating atm), go for it.

try to use some rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover and see if it eats away any of the glue. It might be enough to break it down a little.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom