FSB and DDR clock relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.
curtcheese64 said:
Sorry not trying to steal the thread but I have a question. I've got this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820148007

and an opteron 146. Would I have to run a memory divider to overclock?
That really just depends. It is DDR 400 RAM, but it is also suppose to be pretty good overclocking RAM. It would just depend on how far your CPU is able to go and how far your RAM is able to go before you would know whether it would be beneficial to use a divider.

Example
The 146 runs at 2Ghz right? Anyways, let's suppose it does. Stock settings are:
CPU: 200x10=2Ghz
RAM 200Mhz 1:1

Let's say your CPU is able to do 2.6Ghz max AND that RAM is max stable at 260, or DDR520. You would simply set it at:
CPU: 260x10=2.6Ghz
RAM: 260Mhz 1:1

Now lets say your CPU can still max at 2.6Ghz, but the RAM max's at 240. The you might go with something like:

CPU: 290x9 = ~2.6Ghz
RAM: 240 with a 6:5 divider

Make sense?

You should find the max speed of both independently, and the set the best combination to max out both.

Find max CPU by using the biggest divider on the RAM (ie 100Mhz or 2:1 depending on BIOS) and raising FSB/HTT, raising vcore etc so you can OVC the CPU without the RAM being OC'd.

The find the max RAM by lowering the CPU multi (6 0or 7 for example), putting the divider back to 1:1 and raising FSB/HTT and vdimm, adjusting timings etc, until you find max RAM, this should leave the CPU from being overclocked.

The you use the multi, divider etc that puts both at their max stable speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom