Please fix my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrekct

Beta member
Purpose: To build a Gaming machine for $2000 (canadian monies :mad: )
What it doesn't need:
-lots of storage space (i have an external drive for all my crap)
-writable media (I have a burner in my laptop, not the greatest but it serves my purposes)
-a mouse

My way of going about this has been to find the cheapest non-critual conpoments on the market, and free up as much cash as possible for CPU, Graphics, RAM, ect.

Keep in mind that doing a simple USD-->CAD conversion for the money will not reflect the price of things because of duty/tax at the border + extra shipping (and newegg doesn't ship to canada).

What I have so far:

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ S939 Manchester 2Ghz 512KBX2 - $385.02

Graphics - EVGA E-GEFORCE 7800GT - $406.27

Mobo - DFI LANParty UT NF4 ULTRA-D - $150.89

RAM - OCZ EL Platinum REV.2 (TCCD) PC3200 1GB 2X512MB - $205.86

Monitor - Acer AL1916 W 19" Wide-Screen LCD Monitor - $371.20

Power Supply - Fortron FSP AX500-A 500W ATX12V 2.0 24PIN - $99.96

Motherboard and RAM were chosen because I heard they respond very well to overclocking. (Not that I "will" but it's nice to have the option)

Here is where things get ugly:

DVD - LG 16X Black DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM - $25.80

HD - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 100GB 7200RPM 8MB SATA - $75.33 ( I would go smaller here but couldn't find cheaper drive with a 8MB cache)

Case - ENLIGHT EN-7250 ATX CASE BEIGE 4X5.25 3X3.5 NO P/S - $49.02

Total= $1770

So what's wrong with this. I'm sure that this community has much more knowledge than I do, so I want to make sure I didn't forget anything. Perhaps i'm paying too much for something? Maybe not investing enough in something else?

Also you may notice that all but one of the links above goes to the same online retailer. Does anyone know of a Canadian based online store that has better prices/better selection?

I'm wondering where you are getting your price on ram there. I have 2 gigs (2 X 1) priced on my wish list at Newegg at $229.00.

Of course, you can't order from Newegg, but still.

The ram is rather expensive, but comes highly recomended from reviews. I could go cheaper there and free up at least $50

If you want to be able to do some serious overclocking, get the operon 165 and keep that RAM. RAM with TCCD chips are gods for overclocking.
Opteron 165

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom