Windows X64 or stick with home edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthab

Baseband Member
Hi

Im considering upgrading my OS to windows X64 edition. First of is it worth it?

If it is i have 3 of the things to buy

1)http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=100018
2)http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=97546
3)http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=89195

Im hoping the cheaper one will be fine.

But also if i buy it will it upgrade my Current OS or will i have totally reformat my machine. So ill have to back up everything?

thanks
matt

Well there are some things to consider when upgrading to XP x64. First not all apps are compatable with it. 2nd must have the processor. ( I know you wouldnt ask but some have so must state it). 3rd depends on what you want to do with the system.

I say the 3rd cause not all betas that are released are available for x64. Like IE7 Beta 2 isnt yet. Most of the others are for XP SP2 (x86). So if you like to do any kinda Beta testing then it wouldnt be. Also if you are a gamer it might hamper you a bit. Not saying it will but it might. I have heard that it does slow down some games.

So you have to consider all that. If you are still willing then you can get any 1 of those. OEM isnt always recommended since it is from a maufactorer that was supplied with a system. It might not have all the drivers needed. Plus some drivers are not available for x64 at all. So in the end if you can find the drivers needed and are willing to do it then anything you get will be good.

XP Pro 64Bit is just emulation software, built on top of the Windows XP Pro 32 bit. Its amazingly slow when compared to the 32 bit systems at the moment.
Stick with windows xp home or pro until they make software thats going to need the 64 bit architecture.

danniboy344 said:
XP Pro 64Bit is just emulation software, built on top of the Windows XP Pro 32 bit. Its amazingly slow when compared to the 32 bit systems at the moment.
Stick with windows xp home or pro until they make software thats going to need the 64 bit architecture.
You couldn't be more wrong, Im not going to bash your thoughts but where/what did you read to make you think such things?

Every single thing you said was wrong for starters XP x64 was built off of Windows Server 2003 their most secure product currently released to the markets. It is not just emulation programs it is native 64 bit and uses WoW64 for 32 bit emulation with little to no speed reductions look at some benchmarks for small decimals nothing can be noticed with your own eye. You really should read up on it

k i have a AMD 3500 64 so i have the right processor. Im also a heavy gamer BF2 CS:s ETC.

Theres one question nobodys awnsered. If i get it do i have to format my machine or will it do a upgrade?

thanks
matt

k ive checked i can get drivers for my sound card and graphics card but i dont know yet about my MOBO as the MSi site isnt currently working.

But i thought if i buy a new hard drive i can put X64 on that so if my games dont work on it ive got the home as a back up! Would that work?

You could do that or partition your current hard drive into two logical drives or partitions that would work as well.

the problem is my hard drive now is only 120gb and slightly low on space at the moment!

I think that 60 gig per partition is more than enough I used a 80gig and shared that with XP, Fedora, and Vista not to long ago. But if you feel you need more space buy yourself a new hard drive.

You should check if your motherboard uses IDE or SATA if it supports SATA that is the brand you should get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom