error loading operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjm2122

Baseband Member
My cousins computer crapped out it wouldnt boot up or anything so I took his hd out and reimaged it with xp pro. The install went fine and was working normally in my test machine. Then when I put it back into his machine and booted up I got the error loading operating system. The drive works in my other machine with no problem and doesnt work in his machine. I even flashed the bios with the newest version and still the same error.
Any help would be appreciated this is number 3 of computers I have sitting broken in my house.

what happens is if both pc's have different hardware there will be a different HAL. So you tried to load the HAL from one pc into another, not a good idea. There is away to fix that. First off the second PC, the one you took the HD from, does that have an xp cd key on it ?

I figured it would not work to remake the drive in another machine. I will redo the hard drive again on the machine it came from.

vjm2122 said:
I figured it would not work to remake the drive in another machine. I will redo the hard drive again on the machine it came from.

do you know why? what wrong with the other 3?

That worked great for the one pc thanks for the help although that should have been something i remembered.

One other I think the powersupply is dying its a toshiba laptop and I boot it up and it starts but shuts off after about 10 seconds all the time. So that one I think I need to buy another PS.

The last computer I have had lots of trouble with. One day I rebooted my machine and I got the message that the Processor speed has changed and I needed to go into the bios and change the setting. So I went into the bios changed the setting hit to save and the comp froze. So I hard reset and when it booted back up there was no video. Nothing I did got the video back until I replaced the cmos battery. So at least I got the screen back. So then the pc does not boot into windows now in any mode and it always stops after the mup.sys file when booting in safe mode. I know that mup.sys isnt the problem it would be whatever driver it is trying to load next. Tonight I think I am going to try to reinstall the OS on the hard drive since I did the same idiot thing before and tried to put in a hard drive from a different machine to test it. i will get back to you tomorrow or so to let you know what happens.

still didnt get around to trying it yet a little busy with work this week i will let you know when i try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom