Comp may be dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutchxiii

Baseband Member
Two nights ago my computer began to randomly turn off. It happened once or twice so then i began to search for some problems. The PSU smelled like it was going out so i figured that was the reason. The next day i smelled the PSU and it was fine so i tired to turn it on. The lights on my heatsink flashed (light up heat sink) and then nothing, it wouldnt even turn on. I tried turning the comp on this morning and nothing happened. I have power to computer (suggested by the lit green light on the mobo) I thought it might of been the PSU so i found some old ones and id get power but still the same deal! My computer had power but it would not turn on. I started to investigate farther and I thought it may be the switch. So i disconnected the switch cables and put them back in. I am dumbfounded and i fear whatever it is its a big problem. I have power, i swapped PSU's, i checked the switch cables. If anyone has any ideas please post em, thx

If you are positive that power supply works you have in there....

Start with the cd/dvd drives and disconnect one at a time until you get it to boot. If you get down to just vid card, sound card (if there is one), hard drive and ram; then take out one ram stick at a time, and then swap out the one and try the other; then remove them and then the sound card, and finally the vid card. If you remove the vid card and it boots, you have the solution, if not, get ready to replace the cpu or mobo or both.

nope no beeps and i already disconnected everything and swapped ram, i found a lot of dust inside the comp more than the usual amount do u think that had anything to do with it? and also i know it the cpu and mobo didnt overheat because during the random reboot problem the cpu and mobo were around their avg temp 35C and 30C.

Well, assuming one or both of them are out, because there is no way to tell over the boards here. You stated that you smelled something that you said was the Power Supply. Sometimes you smell the PS getting hot because somewhere on the board something is grounding out.

Take the processor and board to someone who can test them both. Then you will know what to replace. One of my pcs' board went out couple of months ago. I was running one day and started it up the next day and it ran for 2 hours and shut down, just like that.

What makes them go out? Bad quality, power surges, overheating, any of a number of things can be the last straw really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom