excel 2003 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kramerP

Solid State Member
is it possible to force excel 2003 to open each excel file that is opened in a new instance of excel in the task bar. i dont mean that multiple windows show in the taskbar but are all really opened in one instance of excel but rather there are actual separate instances of excel so if you were to unmaximize the windows you could arrange them side by side (in their own excel instance). the only way i have seen to do this is to actually click on the excel application and open each file separately. i have not found a way to do it by just clicking on the files and having them automatically open in new instances. as i recall office 2000 did this by default and i was trying to find a way to do this in 2003. is this possible??

hopefully you understand what i'm trying to say, if not let me know and i will try to better clarify.

Thank you for your reply but that is not what I want to do. I want to be able to view each excel file in its OWN excel window (it's own excel instance). Cascading, tiling, etc. inside one excel instance is not what i was trying to do. I want to be have completely separate excel instances with each file opened in one instance. If you click on the Excel icon twice to open up two instances of it and then open a file in each one - this is what i am trying to accomplish. However, I'm trying to find out if there is a setting that can be changed to permit this so if i just double click to open the excel files they will open in their own excel instance instead of as another window in the already existing excel instance.

1139596497-1.gif

tools | options, view tab, check windows in taskbar

Again, this does not accomplish what i am trying to do. This merely shows multiple windows in the task bar but does not actually have multiple instances of excel open so if you were to unmaximize two windows to put them side by side you couldn't do it - what you would have to do is use the tile/cascade/etc. within the actual excel window. this is what i am trying to avoid. again any thoughts. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom