Accessing a protected folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckeanie

Solid State Member
I installed a hard drive that was previously used as a main boot drive. I want to access the desktop folder on one of the user accounts on this drive, but it is protected. I tried booting from the drive but that didn't work. Is there any way to access the protected folder?

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

There is no security tab when I go to properties. The only tabs I see are General, Sharing and Customize.

It is an admin user. I am using Windows XP Pro with SP2

Edit: Nevermind, I found the answer. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom