I have a problem with my setup- Building my first computer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a similar problem, eventually I replaced the mother board. If you go to a retail store like Fry's or one with a good return policy, see if you can't pickup a PSU and a MOBO. Try the PSU first, as it's relatively easier to swap out some cables, if that doesn't work, then replace the motherboard. Eventually, you will find the problem.

A word of caution, updating the old computer with a new motherboard isn't always practical. With a Socket 478, at least you have some future upgrade potential. But if in 6 mos from now you're hating this computer you might regret sinking $50 into an outdated system.

bengance said:
I had a similar problem, eventually I replaced the mother board. If you go to a retail store like Fry's or one with a good return policy, see if you can't pickup a PSU and a MOBO. Try the PSU first, as it's relatively easier to swap out some cables, if that doesn't work, then replace the motherboard. Eventually, you will find the problem.

A word of caution, updating the old computer with a new motherboard isn't always practical. With a Socket 478, at least you have some future upgrade potential. But if in 6 mos from now you're hating this computer you might regret sinking $50 into an outdated system.

im thinking about getting this motherboard... http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4137243?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG is it a good one to go with...

so wait, i wanna test out my mother board as well... see if it posts.. i can do it without ram and a cpu?? only the psu and mobo??

nevermind.. i'm an idiot... ^^^ i need the ram and graphics card in... harhar.. i should take 512mb out of my compaq just to test my motherboard

I believe it can POST without a video card. You will just have to listen for a beep. As acknowledgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom