Friends Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JiveTurkey

In Runtime
My friend was trying to get a new computer, upgrading a dell actually, but ripping it all up.
Parts I recommended:
AMD
Mobo, but will gladly take suggestions
Need a good 160GB HD
Vid Card (PCI-E, so AGP/PCI-E Mobo isn't necessary)
RAM

And maybe a few other things. Things I need, 160GB Hard Drive, and a PSU.
Total, by my calculations (estimate), is around 700 dollars.
Or would it just be better to buy a computer from Best Buy and put a good Video Card in it, because I think this would be less.

Looks good to me, keep in mind you will need a more powerful power supply and possibly hard drive, if your new motherboard only uses SATA, because I'm guessing your old one used ATA only.

Well I need reccomendations for those parts, please. (and possibly for a better Motherboard).

Check the actual case itself as a lot of the Dell computers were designed as being uATX, (Micro ATX form factor). You will definitely need a new PSU as the one supplied by Dell isn't a standard ATX power supply. (This is true for all of the PSU's that dell have.)

You'll need to make sure your case can handle the dimesions for a standard ATX form factor PSU and Motherboard.

I recommend you get a Antec Truepower Power supply probably a 450 watt.

And Get a different motherboard, Asrock aren't great builds. Look at getting a DFI, everybody raves about them. I'd buy one but there not cheap in Australia so i got a gigabyte.( Blood good though.)
Check this mobo.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136163

Just check your case dimesions as that will be a silly thing to go buy that gear and realise your case is about a inch or so to small to fit stuff in

Solution: Buy a new case. But that Mobo looks good. Any Hard Drive recommendations? I'm not sure of how much Dell will be left in this machine.

By building it yourself, you can decide on the importance of the quality of each component. Such as, the power supply - those supplied with the case (both for $27.00) are notoriously bad. pcpowerandcooling.com has psu's that they have tested and guarantee to be what they say it is. I agree with "wedge 00" in that newegg.com is my source of choice for all of my computer parts. If price is your determining factor, you should buy a Dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom