Start up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Xter

Beta member
Hi, I have recently had a problem with my startup. While I was gone, the computer must have done something and turned itself off. Well, I didn't think anything of it but when I tried to turn it back on, it went through the normal HP (Invent) screen, the Win2K boot screen (with the blue bar) and then got a blank screen that flashed with an error message that was too fast to read. Then the computer restarted. It kept doing this so I turned it off. Now I can't get it to turn on. I run a Win2K system with 512 Ram and a 1.3 Celeron. Before the computer shut off, I was in a game of Renegade (Command and Conquer) as well as another game of RA2. Could the excess of applications caused this? Also, I was able to take my camcorder and record the error message and got something along the lines of (since I couldn't make everything out on the little LCD screen): System couln't find file systemroot\system32\windows\software , in the registry. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
Physical memory dump.
I couldn't make anything out of this. I went into the computer to check connections but they were fine. I also tried to boot in safe mode, command prompt, last good configuration, and system controller devices restore, all to no avail. Could anyone shed some light to the situation?
Thanks.
DJ Xter

2 things-it could be the blue screen of death or it could be a bad sector in your hard drive (which could be one in the same sometimes). You will have to get the file from another XP OS (which it sounds like you have) and go into the command prompt to find the folder you need to place the file in (path stated above). If you're having a hard time restoring the file in this manner then you can try doing a restore with an XP cd. If you do not feel comfortable doing either of the two then reinstall the XP OS.
Does that help?

When you say you cant get it to turn on..do you mean actually turn on is in no power? Or as is it will not boot to the OS? Since you have Win2k run a Repair on it with the win2k OS disc. You can boot from the CD and an option will be avaialble to repair OS. This will fix any OS related errors.

Thanks for the reply.
On that, I can turn the computer on. Today I have taken the time to reseat the RAM, Video Card, HD, etc. again. All would not work. BTW, I lost the disc for 2K, so I can't do the OS repair thing. And also, I took the HD and put it on an XP PC and the HD read fine, I am going to backup files on the XP PC and then transfer over back to this PC if I need to reformat the Win2K PC. But since the RAM, video card, HD, cables, etc aren't the problem, what could it be?
I wonder . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom