Please! Help With Buying Computer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

d-von

Baseband Member
Alright, Im buying a new computer and Im currently writing the parts down that I want this computer to be made of.

Keep in mind this computer is for.. GAMING!

First...

Graphic card! Here are my choices
Asus 7800GTX
Asus 850XT
Radeon x850 Crossfire
Radeon x850 Pro

Ok, Im on kind of a tight budget so Im kinda trying to keep the 7800GTX out of the question for now.. So Im looking at the x850 Crossfire, what do you guys think???????

Second....

Motherboards!
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
ASUS A8N-SLI
ASUS P5ND2-SLI

What should I get? are these good mother boards??

Third....

Processor! Which one will out preform which gaming wize..?
AMD 64 3700+
P4 3.2 (640)
P4 3.0 (830) DUAL CORE

I've heard the 64 3700+ is good for gaming, but I've also heard that the P4's are uber fast..?

Fourth....

Operating System!! Tight budget remember!
Windows XP PRO
Windows XP Home

I have pro now on my P.O.S computer.. I can't see whats so good about it.. And do I really need to spend the extra 60 dollers on Pro?

Fifth....

Power Supply!
430 Wps
500 Wps

The guy says 430Wps is enough power, but the sites for the graphic cards say 500wps+ ????

Thats it!!!!!! Please if you can answer all of these questions that would be amazing.. Thank you!!!!!!

vid cards: 6800GS is a great budget card..
mobo: idk... id go DFI
cpu: definately the 3700+ much much better for gaming, and much cooler
psu: id go with the 500W psu... ocz, antec make good psu's

Get a 6800 series card if you're on a budget
DFI mobos are usually better than asus
3700+ is excellent
xp home is fine
get a 500w psu, I like antec the best

hmmm....pretty much said the same thing as Ksingler ;)

For your price range for vid cards, I would go with a 7800GT. The GTX is overpriced, and the GT is better than the X8 series.

Since you are gaming, AMD will give you a bit of an edge. If you like ASUS mobos, go with the A8N-SLI Premium. It has a lot of nice features, and doesnt have the problematic chipset fan like the Deluxe has.

From the CPUs you chose, only the 3700 is compatible with the mobo I suggested above. THe 3700 is a good all-around CPU, especially for the price. For about $60 more, you can get an X2 3800+ which is nice for games that are starting to utilise dual core CPUs.

I wouldn't worry about getting Pro. Home has had it's support extended for a few more years. Pro is really only useful if you are connecting to a Domain or actually need the extra options that it offers.

I would get at least a 500W PSU for you system. One like this would be good for you.

BTW, welcome to TF:D

I don't see A8N-SLI premium but there is...
A8N-SLI(marked cheaper then the deluxe)
P5ND2-SLI

ne of those them?

Ya, it has been. I have a buddy who has had to RMA his Deluxe mobo a few times already because of it. He is not the only one, either. After seeing his experiences with it, I did some googling and found out that it is a pretty common problem.

Of those two, it's hard to compare them. One is Intel, and the other AMD. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

If you are in Canada, then have a look here, if you want to go with the Premium:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1547357&CatId=0

Alright thanks, I'll get the premium if he has it.

Anotehr question.. Im going with the Radeon x850 Crossfire card... but it says "To complete the CrossFire platform, any PCI Express Radeon X850 graphics card and a CrossFire Ready motherboard are also required. " on the site for it... Is the Crossfire Ready thing mandatory and does the:
A8N-SLI PREMIUM
A8N-SLI
are those two Crossfire ready??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom