Help me bring the life back to older P3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnselk

Baseband Member
I was given an older computer case with some of the parts still in it....but no case cover. Even so, I'd like to get this thing working so it can be used to surf the internet....no gaming.

I need to know what components I will need besides the following:

1. Mother Board (is in the case but don't know if it's working)
2. Processor (ditto)
3. Memory cards (may not have.....depends on what type it uses...how can I tell if it's integrated)
4. Graphics card, if not integrated (how can I tell if it's integrated).
5. Sound card, if not integrated (ditto.....how can I tell).
6. CD Rom drive (have)
7. Floppy drive (have)
8. Monitor (have)
9. What did I miss?

What other components do I need....assuming the components in it are functional.

Will the MB type tell me what's integrated and the type memory and processor it uses?

Thanks guys.....appreciate you.

If you can, try and post the model number or chipset from the mobo, should be near the big INTEL logo
As far as the grafix and sound, if they are occupying PCI slots (white slots towards the bottom of the computer then they are not integrated. Or check the back of the tower and check if the sound and video ports are located next to the mouse/serial ports or if they are more towards the bottom of the case.

you could bring life back to that Pentium 3, but you would need to MAX the ram, get a good hard drive, and a DVD-RW drive.

jorsoft03 said:
If you can, try and post the model number or chipset from the mobo, should be near the big INTEL logo

I finally got around to finding the mobo model number....it's a ABIT BE-6 mobo.

Where's the chipset located? How would I find it....and do I still need it since I found the mobo model?

if it runs currently, you should be able to get a nice hard drive, and some ram. it'll come to life easily. PIII's have plenty of power for the microsoft office/internet users.

Ryan

Does this mobo use PC 100 or PC 133 memory? Without taking out the cooling fan and heat sink (and breaking the thermal contact) is there some way to tell what size pentium 3 I have?

If I'm using only one HD in this mobo, how would I set the HD, the CD-ROM, the DVD-ROM, and the floppy? (slave verses master).

Do I really need the CD-ROM if I have a DVD-ROM? I'm thinking the DVD-ROM will do what the CD-ROM does and more.

Appreciate a reply to this.

Box with a small box with a red X

Hey Wittiest guy Alive.....can you help me with a software (probably) question? Wrong area to ask but thought I would anyway. Maybe I'll move it to the software group.

A lot of times instead of getting a "picture" that someone sends me via an email message I get a larger box (black outline or the box and a white interior) with a very small box in the upper left corner with a small red x in it?

I've been getting this for a long time and have been intending to get it resolved.....maybe you can get.....or someone please.

Also, sometimes when someone sends me an email if will something like this.....this wording (Embedded image moved to file: pic15704.jpg) intermingled in the actual email (it's a picture but the picture is not there!). I actually received this yesterday from a friend.

sounds like something's wrong with your internet service provider. They're not letting the pictures go through.

There's only going to be 2 sockets that I'm aware of for a Pentium 3. There is 'Slot 1'. It's a big card looking thing. The other one is socket 370. This is a more modern looking CPU socket.

Ryan

Pentium 3 Socket

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
There's only going to be 2 sockets that I'm aware of for a Pentium 3. There is 'Slot 1'. It's a big card looking thing. The other one is socket 370. This is a more modern looking CPU socket. Ryan

The pentium 3 I have is mounted "on it's side on the mobo".....and it looks like a card....never saw one like it....all of the pentiums I've seen have always been mounted flat on the mobo. Which one (slot 1 or socket 370) is the "modern looking" one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom