D: > C:

Status
Not open for further replies.

papu

Beta member
i have a comp where disk D: (40.2 GB, NTFS) is bigger than disk C: (15.5 GB, FAT32)

i barely use D: 486 MB/40.2 GB

.... can i switch them?
make C: to D:

HOW?

the reason D is bigger is because it was intended to store all of you files in case you need to use the restore CD or reinstall the operating system. this has the potential to wipe out all files on drive C, hence drive D is bigger to store all data.

i suggest you do not attempt to do this. if you must insist use partition magic software to resize both partitions so C is bigger and D is smaller. C will take space away from D so D will shrink accordingly. use this at your own risk.

this software has the potential to fail and corrupt your partitions, even through no fault from the user. backup data to another storage media like another hard disk or burn to CD's, ect.

Might be a dumb question, but can you just switch the IDE cables and reset the jumpers to make D: the new C: format it, then make C: the new D:? Hope that makes sense.

2 of my 3 Hd's have Win98 on them, and before I upgraded to XP (while I still had my old computer) I interchanged them like that, and it worked flawlessly.

Nope, that would screw your boot file. Also, the windows folder is on the C:\.

Personally, I make my system partition smaller and then store everything on a larger partition on the same disk.

And like E said, using software to do this is very risky.

If nothing else and you are using windows XP (I think 2000 can do it too). Convert C to ntfs and then convert both c and d to dynamic disks. Then just resize C:. All of this can be done with in Windows without special software. But once you go to dynamic disks, you can't go back without a full format and you can't install Linux or anything like that.

Well then, can't you just change the boot file in the bios? I'm tellin you, this is what I did with my old computer and it worked fine. Is that because it was Win98?

Also, I think this is on one HDD, not two. So you can't really switch the IDEs to get this to work.

Actually you can do what he wants to. Fdisk both drives first (Win98 boot CD comes in handy here). Make sure you make D the master driver (or set the jumpers to CS=cable select) and switch the drives on the IDE cable. Then boot from the CD and follow the prompts. WinXP will prompt you to format the drives prior to its reinstallation.
You can do this because there are actually two drives in the system not one partitioned into two as someone else has suggested.

-Target

yes the reason why it worked is because you used win98. just like DOS( okay, exactly like DOS), it assigns drive letters based on the disk's location on the cable (IDE0,1,2,3,) and the partition type (primary, logical drive).

with winxp/2k this does not work the same way because they do not assign drive letters the same way DOS does. hope that made some sense.

Total Immortal said:
I'm tellin you, this is what I did with my old computer and it worked fine. Is that because it was Win98?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom