Amd Athlon Vs Pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.

cell567

In Runtime
Alright. I am posting this because I am creating a system config and I want to know what amd processor woul be equalivent or close to the speed of Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz. I always was a fan of pentium, mainly because of its name but I want to buy something thats worth the money. Thanks In Advance.

AMD 3200+ is only 2.2 ghz, but is basically the equivalent of the 2.8 ghz, if not better. Don't forget, the amd's can be overclocked real easily as well.

AMD w/o a doubt....all the new processors w/ the exception of the fx line are multiplier locked meaning you can only raise the front side bus limiting your overclocking ability. The answer to this is ordering a AMD 2500+mobile barton processor which is the exact same socket and all as the regular 2500+ barton with it being unlocked of course.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/Summary.asp?conid=9998596

this is a barton 2500+m which i just put in my system and it benches up there with the 2.8 and 3.0 p4 right now....considering i got the chip for....well hey lets let you take a look:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...103-401&catalog=343&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

the only thing limiting my being able to overclock my processor more as of know is better memory and a mobo with higher voltage options like the abit nf7 also available at newegg.com

actually i just ran a sandra bench (cpu arithmetic) and scored on the Dhrystone ALU 10000 MIPS and a 4149 on MFLOPS
P4 2.8 ghz 7212 MIPS 3789 MFLOPS
P4 3.0ghz 9195 MIPS 6651 MFLOPS
P4 3.2ghz 9808 MIPS 7095 MFLOPS

so the AMD got all of them in MIPS and beat their 2.8 in the MFLOPS.

I read a post saying that AMD were bad overclockers cause you lose a lot of life out of it and gain about 100mhz. How come the amd is 2.2 and the pentuim is 3.2 but it can still keep up . but i say pentuim

b/c intel has a longer pipeline meaning it has to accomplish more per cycle....therefore it needs to run at higher speeds....and if amd's are bad overclockers then why am i able to run my processor at 832mghz over the rated speed?

because ur special and have a mobo with a good chipset :p

( friggin via chipsets................)

I asked this question not too long ago and this is what I was able to decypher...

AMD has a slower car, but a shorter racetrack to travel. Pentium boasts about their fast car but doesn't mention that they have a much longer road to travel.

AMD is cheaper but tends to heat up a bit more and be a little more unstable than P4, and that is where the money goes (if you don't include the fact that you're buying the name).

I have narrowed it down to this...it's an apples and oranges thing. There is no clear answer to which is necessarily "better." So my logic is, if you can't conclusively prove one better than the other, its so close that it's not something to worry about, so just go for the cheaper one...AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom