Overclocking gpu increases benchmark scores but makes no physical difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
Is it true that when you overclock your GPU you may actually see no performance increase but will get better scores in 3dmark? How is this so? I thought that the only way to boost 3dmark scores was to have your hardware running more efficiently or having better hardware. I seriously doubt that 3dmark would yield a higher score than before an overclock without there being a performance increase. I just don't think it is possible or logical, so could someone explain to me if this rumor is false or true and explain why?

I think the people who say that really mean "it won't give a noticable improvement"
as in, it will be faster, but you won't actually see or notice the difference

Not to say that it will never yield a difference that will not be noticed in real world performance. In many situations a nice overclock can be the difference of being able to run one step higher resolution, or 2xAA to 4xAA, etc. It can definitely make a difference in actual game play.

Ever since i overclocked my card CS:S stopped being so jittery. I don't know about you guys, but it did wonders for me.

it would make a physical difference but it just wouldnt take any effect because most games these days have built in frame-limiters to maintain gameplay... if your playing a game like Doom 3 try entering showfps 1 in the console to display you FPS and then disable the frame limiter...trust me youl notice a huge dirrence.

definitely allowed for me to run higher settings in games but then again I OC'd my quite a bit since it's on water, however a good after market cooler like the NVSilencer or whatever zalman is putting out these days can yeild the same results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom