Help, Want to uninstall Sims

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerlilly

Solid State Member
I would really appreciate if someone could tell me how to uninstall the Sims game. I went to the add/remove and it won't uninstall that way. Someone suggested I install it again and then try to uninstall it again. There has got to be a better way to do that. That the first problem. Second one, is I accidently deleted a file on the add /remove that was named Supporter5. It was a c:\windows\Pref or PF file. I don't know if I did something really bad or not, my computer is running okay. Third problem, sorry I hope this is not too much! I had a virus which I got rid of, but my windows XP has a restore set-up with restore points, which I think the virus is in the restore file still. Should I worry about it? I scanned the computer and it said it was clean. Thanks alot for any help anyone can give me. :)

do you get an error message when trying to uninstall it?
I believe the files for The Sims are in: C:\Program Files\EA games

if a file is missing, you could try deleting the sims files, then reinstalling/repairing it so you can uninstall it properly afterwards

anyway, I don't like System restore, for the same reason you've mentioned. if you get a virus, sometimes it will also back the virus up in a restore point. And it can also eat up hard drive space.
have you turned off System restore?

also, what Antivirus program did you use to scan for viruses?

Hi thanks for replying. No I didn't turn it off, I reduced the disk space allowed for it so it would drop some files , but I have been thinking about turning it off. If there is a virus in the restore file what will happen if I turn it off, should I scan again and see if it comes up. The computer refuses access to restore files. I used 4 programs to scan, AVG which I have installed, then online scanners, symantec, bitdefender and Panda. I got rid of the sober virus, I think thats what it was called, I also got rid of a hacker tool, instafinder, cleaned cookies and stuff. But still worried about restore file. As for Sims,It says put in the second disk when I am uninstalling it and when I do I get an error message. The program came on two discs and as I remember I had problems installing it too. I followed the instructions, but it just didn't work. So I guess I will have to reinstall and try again to uninstall . I was hoping for an easier way. I also have zone alarm,Win Patrol on here. Before I installed Zone Alarm I checked the security logs and my security had been compromised. Not good. I was checking my security and scanning it all day for one thing or another. I was worried about the CME-24 Black worm virus which is supposed to hit feb 3rd. Any suggestions to improve my security? Thanks again for answering me. :)

P.S. That Supporter5 file PF file that I accidently deleted, can I undelete it? It was something prefetch? Or should I leave well enough alone. What is a prefetch file? I am still learning. TY :)

if it's a prefetch file, it won't affect your system. they just load with Windows so that it is already in RAM when you go to open it. I often delete all the prefetch files, to save RAM and hard drive space.

I would also advise you turn off system restore for all drives.

Now, if the sims does not uninstall, you can manually delete it from C:\program files\EA games, and then delete all the sims registry settings aswell. but this is not recommended unless you really cannot uninstall it any other way.

Thanks for your advice and it took some worry away with that prefetch file. I will turn off system restore, it just worried me some because it saved my computer once. But my thoughts on this are if I have system restore points already why do I need to keep creating more? As for Sims I will try it the other way and see what happens, but I have a feeling I will still have trouble. It takes up so much space. So I will end up doing it the other way anyhow.
another question, I did a security scan and it said I was safe from internet attack with the security I have. But not safe for email. I have the avg email scanner on. But my guess is I will not be safe against this new CME-24 Blackworm or MYwife. Its an email virus and they say it will do alot of damage to systems affected. Any advice on how to avoid getting it. Just don't open email attachments? Sometimes I check my mailbox at the ISP before downloading anything to my computer, will this help? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I love computers, their great, but I think I am technologically deprived. I am sure my computer has alot more capabilities then I know how to use. Anyway, I have dial-up which inhibits me some due to the slowness of data transfer. I feel like there is a whole world out there that I am just starting to learn and I know more then most of my friends,lol. Have a great day!!! TY again. :)

do you use Outlook/Outlook Express to view emails?
Outlook is not a great system in terms of security. it stores emails and their attachments on your computer, so even if you haven't read them yet, they are there.
I would advise you use your ISP's web page to view emails all the time

eraser and another question

:D Thanks for helping me out here. Does anyone know how to clear the yahoo search bar, I see all these old searches everytime I look for something. Some things are really annoying to have to see over and over. Thanks. Tigerlilly Oh and one more, i have all these deleted emails on my PC, then they get compacted and so forth. So now I go to the web box. But is there any way to get the old emails that I have deleted off my computer completely?????:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom