2 computers/1 printer Can I??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerGrip

Baseband Member
OK, so I got my computer at work and I got a laptop I use. The computer is at my work and my laptop is my own. I do not have access to the domain at work from my laptop even if I plug in my laptop to the network. I do however get an internet connection but that is beside the point.

I have:

1 four port USB hub (1 mini connection to the PC and 4 open standard slots)
1 USB Bridge (used to transfer files from PC to PC)
1 USB Printer
2 Computers (laptop & PC)

Is it possible to plug the printer into the hub, and then plug in my PC and my laptop into the hub to use the printer? If so where do I plug in the USB mini cable? Or does that really matter? Also I have a strong feeling that I will require a standard USB cable instead of my USB Bridge cable to get the laptop working with the printer. Anyone have any advice on this kind of stuff?

what i do at home is connect the printer to the PC, and have my other PC connected to the wireless router. Just buy a USB wireless card for your laptop, and buy a wireless router.

You just home network those computers, hard wired or wireless (more problematic) and share the printer as a netowrk device. Just that simple.

My first PC is already on a network at work however. So to create a new network would that not disconnect me from the work domain?

No...you will have to get your system admin to allow that workstation add. Once added to the work network you can configure your laptop to print from the IP address for your local network printer.

Problem with that is that the company does not want my laptop to connect to the companies VPN or Domain due to "security" reasons. Pretty much because I'm not using Symantec Antivirus my company won't let me on. That's why I'm trying to do it this way. Kinda like setting up my own network using USB. lol Is that at all possible?

just unplug the printer from your work computer and plug it into your laptop. Its a bit of a pain but the fastest and easiest in your situation.

I would not attempt to "link" your laptop without admin permssion. Yo will get busted. Not a good idea. You can't even plug in a USB flash drive into that system wihtout the admin finding out!

Naw the techie knows I'm doing this. It's just his boss that dosn't want it on. The people in my work place are very technology illiterate, though no fault of their own they just don't have the time to learn, or at least I assume. If they had a proper understanding of computers they would be focusing their attention on the 100+ holes in the system instead of 1 person trying to get his laptop to connect to a printer. I'm could go up to the boss and talk to him, I just don't find it worth trying to explain myself for 2 hours and get no results from it becuase they don't see the bigger picture. To boot, the techie couldn't admin a PC if his life depended on it. He's constantly coming to me looking for advise and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom