Reformating HD and installing windowsXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusader

In Runtime
Hey i want to reformat my HD and reinstall XP as i had viruses and its running slow etc. But i tried putting in the XP disk and reinstalling windows but it says my XP is newer than the XP on the disk and it cant continue installation. Then i tried booting of the XP disk but i cant change the boot off HD to cd drive cos i cant access the bios. My bios is a IBM PIKT35AUS 27/07/01. I have rried F1,F2,ctrl+alt+del,ctrl+alt+ins.
What should i do? Or can i reformat my HD by making a startup disk so XP is no longer on it and then their will be no problems with putting the disk in?

Maybe try to hit all of the F keys (not as once) or just Delete. One of them should allow you to acces your BIOS. I have had some BIOS's that were Delete and a couple that wew F3 and F8. So maybe one of them should allow you to access you BIOS so you can chage your boot path and avoid the trouble of a startup disc.

Ok thanks for all the help. Iv tried all the f keys, del etc. i think ill give powermax a go and then the startupdisk. So i just download powermax, clean the HD then their will be no problems with installation(XP)?

Crusader said:
Ok thanks for all the help. Iv tried all the f keys, del etc. i think ill give powermax a go and then the startupdisk. So i just download powermax, clean the HD then their will be no problems with installation(XP)?

Exactly. it will clean the mbr, so you will be fine

Im not geting thisto work, i dl the iso version and it had the two bin files. But i cant get the big one on to a floppy disk as my floppys are 1.38mb and the file is 1.4mb. Then i tried dl the floppy version and it comes are with the Powermax diskette creator. I open that and it makes a floppy. It says reboot ur comp. I did that nothing happens. I trried to open the files on the floppy and i cant. What am i doing wrong?

with the cd.iso, you burn it as a disk image (with nero, roxio or alcohol) to your cd (not to floppy disc). if you use the floppy version, set your bios to boot to floppy first

I cant get into my bios, so no floppy version then. I have Daemon tools, i could do it with that then right? So i just burn it to a blank disc?

--EDIT--
Right me step by step please if you could to save time.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom