A Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4Life

Baseband Member
Yesterday, i was playing Guildwars when my GFX Card blew out i guess. Got a Matrixy kind of stuff on my screen when i try to start up my computer and it freezes and my PSU is overheating after 5 years of work. So now im deciding wether i want to either buy a new 6800 GS AGP for 200+ and a 480W PSU for another $100 or save up my money and just get a whole new 64Bit PCI system. Any Help or comments that will help me make my decision are appreciated. Thanks.

It kinda depends on what you have left of your system now. List what you currently have.

BTW, welcome to TF:D

Aight atm i have :

AMD 2400+
768 DDR SDRAM (PC 1600) SUCKS BLAH!
A Broken 6600GT (Now running on a crappy radeon 5600)
5 year old 400W PSU
40 gb HD

Anything else u wanna know just tell me

I would save some pennies to get a new computer. You can build one that can be easily upgraded later as more money comes in for about $500.

If you do choose to just go ahead and fix up the one you have, I would do what you already mentioned: A 6800GS AGP and a new PSU.

I'm with Elbatrop1... If you save up 700 bucks, you'll see yourself with a pretty nice rig that is going to make your old one a little embarassed.

Ryan

Ok heres what im thinking if i save up money.

ASUS A8N-SLI Delux $122

ePOWER Tagan480W Power Supply $90

Use my RAM i have now, then upgrade it to:
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit

What kind of CPU Should i get. thinking about AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 ProcessorRetail

Adding a couple extra fans. My brother works at Comp USA so i can get stuff at cost, so it iwll be a little cheaper, depending if he has the item on stock

As for my GPU, maybe ill just get a PCI-E 6600GT and wait for the G80 series to come out.
Any Suggestions?

Sorry for double Post, but the RAM on the A7V8X-X (which is what im running on atm) works on the A8N-SLI correct?

The RAM should work, but I would definitely recommend getting PC3200, instead. PC3200 is super cheap anyways.

Definately save your pennies, but wait until socket m2 is released. That way you will get the best upgradability, with a very up to date system. It is being rleased sometime in Q2 2006 I believe, which will give you time to save up a lot of pennies :)

So heres what im thinking, ill get my brother to buy me a 6600GT for around $120 and a 480W PSU that i can use in my next system. After the m2 sockets and the G80 series come out, i'll get a new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom