Buying a custom computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackmanOne

Baseband Member
Hey guys, in about a week I am going to buy a custom computer from a local store. A nice Athlon 64 rig. Now to shave some of the costs I am wondering if I should just save on getting XP HOME (130 CDN to be exact), from the store. If I buy it from them, they run all the tests and install all my drivers. However, I have XP PRO at home.

I was wondering, when installing XP PRO on a computer for the first time, what steps should I follow, and what drivers do I have to install?

Thanks a lot.

do you mean you have a copy of XP Pro you can load at home, or are you worried about XP Pro and XP Home working together, they will work together if you have a workgroup, but not if you run a home domain, since xp Home will not log into a domain.

rasputinj said:
do you mean you have a copy of XP Pro you can load at home, or are you worried about XP Pro and XP Home working together, they will work together if you have a workgroup, but not if you run a home domain, since xp Home will not log into a domain.

I mean that the custom computer I am going to buy can come with XP HOME, but i get a discount ($130) if i order it without a driver. I have XP PRO cd at my house, which I can install on the new comp, to save money.

Yeah, save the money and install yourself. Microsoft had made it really easy to install and it'll save you a good chunk of money. Hey, you could always spend the saved cash on a better video card or something!

You could also save money by not buying the 64 which is, overall, useless, and just buy an AMD Athlon 32 bit.

digital_darknes said:
XP usualy comes with all the drivers you need. If you want to save money, newegg has XP pro for 130.

If you have the install disc for a previous version of Windows, then getting an upgrade is just as good as the real thing. Its what I use and all it takes is putting in a previous Windows cd, which takes seconds....and it saves lots of money:)

Yeah save the 130, if u need help installing ask for the help on forums or sumwere, and upgrade something for the 130. ie.: memory,hardrive,VIDEO CARD, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom