Cable modem security

Status
Not open for further replies.

FWT-Tim

Baseband Member
I just got cable internet installed.

Is there any good (preferably free) software I can install to make it safer?? Do I need to install some sort of firewall?

Thanks

Attachments

• 127.jpg
    127.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
I just got cable internet installed.

Is there any good (preferably free) software I can install to make it safer?? Do I need to install some sort of firewall?

Thanks

The best thing is a firewall m8! I have a few different ones running. Two good ones are ZA and Sygate. You can download the free ZA one here Zone Labs and you can download sygate which is better here Sygate download ;)
Laterz

Attachments

• 128.gif
    128.gif
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
Caution

Might want to find out which ones are compatable with your cable modem service. Some say that they will work with any service, but it's not true, unless there is someway to make them work that I wasn't told about.

I really liked Zone Alarm, but it would not work with my cable service. Even though it worked with others that I know of, it wouldn't work with Charter. The service tech even recommended I uninstall it. So, maybe there is a way, but it wasn't told to me.

Anyone else have problems with a firewall and cable? Or maybe chopper and time shocker know work around?

Caution

Might want to find out which ones are compatable with your cable modem service. Some say that they will work with any service, but it's not true, unless there is someway to make them work that I wasn't told about.

I really liked Zone Alarm, but it would not work with my cable service. Even though it worked with others that I know of, it wouldn't work with Charter. The service tech even recommended I uninstall it. So, maybe there is a way, but it wasn't told to me.

Anyone else have problems with a firewall and cable? Or maybe chopper and time shocker know work around?

I ended up installing the Sygate Firewall. Seems to be working pretty good so far.

Attachments

• 138.jpg
    138.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 139.jpg
    139.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.