Replace 1.7 GHz P4 for a 2.4 GHz Celeron D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
My friend is currently using an old 1.7 GHz P4 and wants a cheap upgrade. He's looking into the 2.4 GHz Celeron D, which is only $70 on Newegg. Will the Celeron D proove to be a good improvement over his old P4 or not much? I am guessing it will since it has a higher FSB and clock speed, but I don't know much about Celerons.

How well does a Celeron D overclock? One guy in the newegg review said he got 4 GHz on air. :confused:

Like Flanker said it won't be much of an upgrade,You might notice some performance boost but not much at all,I used to have an old celeron 2.4 and my buddy's 1.8 P4 used to kick my but at everything :(

Celeron is for very basic computing, a watered down version of a p4. Processors won't be much of a significent upgrade unless its big. Don't bother wasting $70 for it.

celeron D is better than normal celeron because it have more cach memory.

anyway replacing 1.7 GHz P4 for a 2.4 GHz Celeron D will not give u a good improvement

i wouldnt be suprised if the celeron would perform worse than that P4. get him to save some cash and get a whole new comp

Or just spend some more bucks in some RAM. Dont bother with the Celeron because it's just for doing the office/email things.

Alright thanks for the help. One of the biggest reasons he wanted to upgrade is for overclocking. He overclocked his P4 from 1.7 to 1.9 and can't go any higher because he will have to raise voltage. The CPU has no temp sensor so raising the voltage wouldn't be a good idea without knowing temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom