Reformatted Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzik

Solid State Member
I reformatted a friends Win XP Dell. First time reformatting Win XP, but after I reinstalled Windows XP some of the drivers are not there. (Audio Controller, 440x 10/100 Integrated Ethernet, Sm Bus Controller, Integrated Graphics Controller) Where would these drivers be located. Would they be on a disk of some sort?
Would they be on a Win 2000 Backup Floppy disk? Friend bought the computer around 4 yrs ago. HELP ME! Please. Struggling Here.

Since its a dell you may have to get them from dell. See if you can find them on dells web site. You my have to reinstall with the original operating system recovery disk if you can't get the drivers from dell.

The thing is that Windows sometimes does not have all the drivers neccessary for your computer. And you might need to install additional drivers from the CDs that came with your motherboard/PC. There is no possible way you could find them on a Win 2000 Backup Floppy disk. If you won't be able to find the needed drivers on the CD. The best possible option would be find them in the internet according to the vendor and hardware model.
Hope, that would help you.

Thanks for the help. I downloaded a program from Driversguide.com that told me what the drivers are. I guess I will have to hunt them. Been trying to find them. There are so many drivers, I get confused. Pretty cool. Our first posts.

Welcome to the world of computers my friend ... yeah finding drivers can be a *itch for those who never built PC's before ... since i am not one of them .. i'll show you full directions

1. Find the model name on the front of the PC (example Dell Dimension 4100)

2. Then go here Dell Driver Download ... don't worry about the Service Tag ... just fill in the "Product Model:" Section and you can find all the drivers you need

Well i can say taht since your friends PC came with 2000 that not all drivers on that page will be of help. Windows 2000 and Windows XP use different drivers. So the 2000 drivers, even if they were on a disc, might not help any. You can try the Dell site. Does he have dialup or does he need the ethernet driver to access the net? If he uses dialup then maybe Windows Update can help.

If all else fails find out the make of the Dell and then go to the Dell site. From there find out the devices that are installed on the motherboard. Then you can google for drivers. If you give me the Dell type i can find the drivers for you. I have done this a few times in the past.

It is a Dell Dimension 2350. She has dial-up. I'm trying to download them on mine and then download it to disk to take over to her house. I can't stand waiting on dial-up. Once you go DSL, you never want to go back. LOL! Thanks for any help you can give me. Here is the names of the controllers.

82801 DB/DBL On Board AC'97 Audio Controller
BCM 440X10/100 Integrated Ethernet
82801 DB/DBL Sm Bus Controller
82845 G/GL/GE Integrated Graphics Controller

Another Question, I have my drivers and utilities disk for Windows Xp Media Center, would that have her drivers on it?

Oh, By the way she has Win XP home. I just have an old computer with Win Me. And have bootable floppy for it. I thought maybe it would have the drivers on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom