copying dvd's with magnetic strips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prelude2244

Baseband Member
I recently purchased some previously viewed dvd's from Blockbuster and I want to back them up. However, they have the foil strips on the outside side of the disc. Can this still be copied using dvd cloner or dvd x software? Will this mess up my burner in any way?

All info is appreciated, thanks : )

CD's and DVD discs are not magnetic, they work on roughly the same principle as vinyl records, you know those scratch records disc jockeys use. they have physical pits on them running in a spiral groove. so magnets have no effect on them.

think about this though: if those manetic strips damaged your dvd player, why would blockbuster have them? they could get sued for damages to your hardware. on the other hand, just don't tell them you are copying their movies, dvd-x-copy has been banned

DVDX has been replaced with Ripper Free versions. But you can still get the old version basically everywhere (retail).

I tried it and it worked. So, what the heck are those foil looking strips for? It said for copy protection. I'm just curious.

assuming the foil strip was on the disc and not on the dvd case. . . .you will find this funny. . . . they are supposed to be copy protection for VHS video cassettes not DVDs :p

it is in case someone tried to physically open a VHS and replace the film with a copy. the metal foil will show that it was cut or peeled off meaning tampering was done.

whatever idiot put it on a DVD was too stupid to know this apparently. i know for sure it is not for the metal detectors. those would cause imbalance of your dvd disc and cause damage to your dvd player.

Prelude2244 i suggest peel off the strip and use a product called "goo gone" to wipe off the sticky mess. the risk of imbalanced disc is not great, but dont play those discs for too long.

OK Thanks. Another stupid question. Not that I'm doing it, but can Blockbuster find out that you're copying their DVDs?

no, it is impossible for them to find out. the only ways i see them able to do this is by unlawfully infringing on your personal privacy, which aint gonna happen soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom