Monitor going into idle when attempting to load desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emper0r

Baseband Member
Hey guys, this is a very strange problem. I have an older computer that uses Windows ME and an old monitor as my secondary computer.

I tested my old monitor on my newer computer about two days ago, so it doesn't seem to me this is a problem with the monitor, but here it is:

Whenever I start up the computer, it shows the windows ME loading screen on the monitor just fine, but when it tries to load the desktop there's a couple strange distorted flashes then the monitor suddenly goes into idle mode.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what's going on here? Thanks!

Embarassing but I forgot how to login to safe mode on Windows ME, is it hold down shift when you're starting up? Thanks!

Windows 98/Me
We recommend that you use the System Configuration Utility to get into Safe mode, however, the F8 key can also be used.

To use the System Configuration Utility to start Windows 98/Me in Safe mode
Close all open programs.
Click Start > Run.
In the Run dialog box, type msconfig and then click OK.

0.103A

On the General tab, click Advanced
Windows Me will look a bit different than the picture below.
0.2AD6

In the Advanced Troubleshooting Settings dialog box, check Enable Startup Menu, and then click OK.

0.5AB2

Click OK again when the System Configuration Utility reappears.
When you are asked to restart the computer, click Yes.
When the Windows 98 (or Me) Startup Menu appears, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
The computer restarts with Windows in Safe mode. (This can take several minutes.) When you are finished working in Safe mode, use the System Configuration Utility to start Windows 98/Me in normal mode.

To use the System Configuration Utility to start Windows Me in normal mode
Finish what you need to do in Safe mode.
In the section "To use the System Configuration Utility to start Windows 98/Me" above, repeat 1-6, but in step 5, uncheck Enable Start-up Menu.
Close all programs, and restart the computer.

To use the F8 key to start Windows 98/Me in Safe mode
Restart the computer.
As the computer restarts, press and hold down the F8 key until the Windows 98/Me Startup menu appears.
When the Windows 98 (or Me) Startup Menu appears, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
Windows starts in Safe mode. (This can take several minutes.)

Ok yes! I held down shift and it started up in safe mode and it loaded the desltop fine! What does this mean?

Yes obviously I realize that, let me put the question into context:

What does it mean that the computer/monitor can load the desktop while in safe mode but in normal mode it flashes a couple times oddly then the monitor goes into idle mode?

Thanks!

Well I don't think it's the monitor because like I said in the origional topic it worked fine on my newer computer. I just don't understand why a conflict would suddenly be happening when it worked fine 2 months ago(I went on vacation) and now after not being touched for 2 months it's doing this?

What steps would you recommend to go about solving this issue? Just re-installing the driver?

Emper0r said:
Well I don't think it's the monitor because like I said in the origional topic it worked fine on my newer computer. I just don't understand why a conflict would suddenly be happening when it worked fine 2 months ago(I went on vacation) and now after not being touched for 2 months it's doing this?

What steps would you recommend to go about solving this issue? Just re-installing the driver?

no need to understand just update the drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom