AMD'S new chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
have you guys done any research on amd's new chip called the m2 do you guys know anythink about it aparantly itl be using ddr2

Adding DDR2 support to the memory controller seems like the biggest change. Other than that, it sounds like fairly minor core changes, but in all it should be enough to make it decent performance boost over current cores.

yup, DDR2 is the bigest change that AMD made in the AM2 socket. The bigger changes are further on the horizon as they create "Socket F" with some odd 1200 pins or something... No one even knows what they need all those pins for.

Ryan

Yea, I think Socket F will have something like 1207 pins, but will only be used for servers.

Socket AM2's advatanges are DDR2, increased HTT from 200mhz to 333mhz (mainly due to shift to DDR2), and it's future proof for at least 3 years, if not more.

The nice thing is that the hardware won't be too much more expensive than current hardware of Socket 939. It will drive down Socket 939 stuff, which is good.

Socket AM2 (yes, AM2, not M2) is supposed to come out in April. New motherboards should cost about $10 more than current Socket 939 motherboards (MSI K9N :) ). New versions of old processors, as well as new processors, to come out. The next version of the FX-60 is coming (FX-62? FX-65?).

You guys may think that the biggest change is DDR2, but for me, its the HTT being changed from 200 to 333. Yes, you heard right, the HTT is being changed from a Default of 200 to a Default of 333. Welcome to the days of pain-in-the-*** overclocking.

MSI K9N;

940-pin Socket, 4 x DDR2-SDRAM slots, SLI support.

The chipset is MCP55, which is supposed to be Nvidia's new high-performance chipset for Socket AM2 (thought it might have a different official name?).

Why would it be more difficult, I mean now you have to OC in increments of 333mhz instead of 200mhz, but what difference would that make.

Brtnboarder495 said:
Why would it be more difficult, I mean now you have to OC in increments of 333mhz instead of 200mhz, but what difference would that make.

What...? No, you're not supposed to overclock in increments of 200MHz OR 333MHz.

You have a Mac, so I wouldn't expect you to know overclocking. But anyone thats ever overclocked will not be happy. Its not going to be harder, just a pain in the ***. Kind of like Intel overclocking.

Anyone know why that PCI slot is a different color than the other two. I like the 6 SATA ports too. Hopefully they'll start making SATA CD/DVD-RW drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom