Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold123

Baseband Member
Its been bothering me for a while now but im just now deciding to try and do something about it. Is there any way to stop AIM from starting when windows starts? ive tried msconfig startup, but it just adds itself back to the list. And also, the AIM launch icon keeps putting itself back on my desktop but i just want to put it into a folder that i keep all my program icons in but it wont stay there. Anyone know how to fix these 2 things?

the msconfig, startup thing should work...

see if there's a shortcut in start > all programs > strartup

Yeah I'd look in AIM to find the option to stop that. It will probably remove the startup key once unchecked.

If you don't want to change the startup options in MSconfig, you can remove the registry file that is responsible. Run
Code:
regedit
from the run box. Navigate to HKCU->Software->Microsoft->Windows NT->Current Version->Run or HKLM->Software->Microsoft->Windows NT->Current Version->Run. There should be a registry entry in one of these that points to the AOL startup executable. Removing it will permenantly keep this program from starting when the computer starts. As always, be careful when modifying the registry as you could severly hurt your PC. If you have any questions as to whether you are about to delete something important from these Run folders, consult. www.bleepingcomputer.com and check their database for the executable you are considering removing. This will tell you whether this is necessary for your computer to start.

Warez is right, there is an option to disable this feature in AIM itself, but I've noticed that mine turns itself back on after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom