What is good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol it's np... I still have to write a paper for english, due in the am. as you can tell i'm procrastinating ;)

karpfish24 said:
nothing is good enough! mwahaha!

what...

Ok well what type of gamer are you...ae you a casual on who dosent mind playing on low or medium settings or do you need all the eye candy you can get at ultra high resolutions...basically what im asking is how much you should spend on your GPU....I suggest the 6800 GS or 7800 GT, great price/performance cards...you dont need any 512 gtxs or 1900XTX.....or do you?...fill us in on your needs :)

AMD Dual Core Opteron & NVIDIA

CPU: AMD Opteron 165 Denmark - $328
CPU Cooler: Zalman 9500LED - $59
Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D - $125
Memory: pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) Timing: 2-3-2-5 - $190
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB - $110
Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256MB - $289
Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi xtreme music - $113
Optical:NEC Black 2M Cache IDE/ATAPI DVD/CD Burner - $39.00
Case:Lian Li PC-65B Black ATX Mid Tower - $125
PSU: Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 - $89

That's about $1606 without shipping.

If you already have a full version of windows you can take off $139.
Also if you want you can skip the Zalman 9500LED and use the stock HS&FAN that comes with the CPU.

Naw, the Zalman fan is fine, I was looking at the one that went onto the LGA775 processor also, so thats no biggie, I do save on the OS though, because I do currently have a full version.

I appreciate the help :D!

Oh the other question... What is the dif. between AMD/Intel? I've noticed on forums some are just hardcore AMD and some Intel no matter what you say to them.

Any time :)....I didnt help really....but I tried....and btw Intel dosent suck as Havoc said, but its just not as good for gaming as amd is....they are all either nvidia or ati biased and now I guess they are all intel amd....but what ever...I perfer AMD Bbut I dont HATE intel, they just dont suit my needs..:)

Oh, I dont mind either way when it comes to the chip. I just wasnt sure "why" the reasoning for difference was there. I know some love ford because they have owend one for 10 years w/out a problem, and others hate ford becuase they where in the shop 10 times in 2 weeks. But i wasnt sure how or why difference was there. Is there any site that I can go to, to find out what the difference is between both processor brands?

ok. Intel doesn't suck. It's just not as good in gaming. Which he is interested in.

Yea, sorry was in a bad mood. Intel doesn't suck, they just are worse in gaming, as you said, and tend to be more expensive than their AMD counterpart.

Ok, difference between Intel and AMD;

Basically, AMD Athlon 64s are for gaming, AMD Athlon 64 X2s are for everything else, and Intel Pentium 4s are for video/audio encoding.

Intel has the Pentium 4s which have really high clockspeeds. Compared to Intel, AMD has really low clockspeeds. But AMD does more with what speed they have than Intel. A 1.0GHz Pentium 4 is like a .63GHz Athlon 64. That means that a 2.0GHz AMD Athlon 64 will perform the same as a 3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4. Thats basically what most people don't know about AMD.

Processors have pipelines. Those pipelines have stages. An instruction, sent through that pipeline, has to go through each stage before it's complete. The more the stages, the worse. But you can't have too few stages either. Now, an Intel Pentium 4 (based on the Netburst architecture) has 34 stages in it's pipeline. Thats horrible. Comparitively, a Athlon 64 has 12 stages in it's pipeline. That doesn't mean that the Athlon 64 is 3x faster than the Pentium 4, but it IS faster. Because the pipeline is so long in a Pentium 4, they need to make their processors really fast to get anything done. Thats where the 3.8GHz clockspeeds come in.

AMD isn't some third-party, underground kind of company. Its a perfectly legitimate company. Think Ferrari and Porsche, ATi and Nvidia, Michael Jackson and Unknown Envy. Same basic principle. Except, Intel is a lot bigger than AMD. AMD only has like 17% of the market. But you know what the funny thing is? AMD has stronger, and better, processors than Intel.

But that was all the boring stuff. AMD is definately better at gaming. A Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0GHz) may be the same as a Pentium 4 3.2GHz, but thats only in normal tasks. In games, AMD is far and away, the best. An Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0GHz) will probably beat a 3.6GHz Pentium 4 in most games. In Battlefield 2, a Athlon 64 3200+ beats a 3.8GHz Pentium 4.

Intel is often more expensive than AMD. Pentium 4s also run REALLY hot compared to Athlon 64s. And Athlon 64s overclock farther, generally, as far as home overclocking goes.

YOU WANT AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom