Building NEW SFF - help me decide!!!

DO U THINK MY COUSIN SHOULD BUY A DELL???

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Dont know, dont care

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vybuni said:
1) X2 4400. The FX series are just too **** expensive. The 4400 is well above the requirements of any game out there.

2) The 10K RPM drives will give you the best performance.

3) Probably forget SLI for now. If you want to you can get an SLI board and one card (7800gt) and get another one later when the prices drop and your performance starts to suck. One 7800gt can handle ANY game out there on max settings fine.
Agreed! Since you're not overclocking, a dual-core processor will set you up nicely for the future, since games will soon take advantage of both cores. If you were an overclocker, I'd've voted for the Opteron. I've got a Raptor (the only SATA 10K-rpm hard drive) and it's great.

I don't think a 7800GT can handle quite ANY game on max settings (not even a 7800GTX-512mb can do that), but it's pretty close . . . for now.

Aurigae said:
> X2 4400 Toledo..........runs at 2.2 MHz but is that per core? Does he need dual core if he doesn't multitask much?
> Opteron 170...........Runs at around 2.2 MHz, how can it be that great? Mine from 3 years ago is a 2.8 pentium...I've heard great things about Opteron from overclockers but we don't mess with overclocking.
It's 2.2 GHz and it's not per core. AMD processors run at lower clockspeeds than Intels but they get more done per cycle. A 1.8GHz AMD processor is equivalent to a 3GHz Intel. The reason overclockers get Opterons is that they tend to be more overclockable than Athlons - but they're equivalent MHz for MHz. A 2.2GHz AMD is quite a bit faster than a 2.8 Pentium.

As can be seen in my signature, I have a Shuttle SN25P... it's a Socket 939 (AMD) and you CAN use dual core with it to ( I think the BOIS needs updating though..).

The Shuttle SN26P is NEARLY identicle, but it is an SLI box.

The heat pipe for the CPU on this box is really nice, haven't had any overheating issues. I would definatly recomend either of them, as I have not had any issues. The only problem I see for you is that Shuttle cases are PREPAINTED.... all the SN25P's are blue.... SN26P's are Purple... if you want black, you would have to choose a different platform, or paint it yourself.

EDIT: OK, I guess Shuttle made a revision to the SN26P..... it WAS purple when they first came out (I thought).... here is a black one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101479

If you get the SN2XP case, make sure that it doesn't sit flush against something... youhave to have a few inches of open space on each side of the case, because the CPU Heatpipe takes air in from one side of the case, and expells the exhaust out the other side.

Here is a good reference for you for SFF PC's....
http://sfftech.com/
LOTS of info in the forums.

so much to quote! X2 arent worth it for gaming now people! Sheeeesh. When X2s become standard for gaming a 4400 will be a value CPU. Don't you get it?

Opterons are for servers and hes not OC'n so they are not in his best interest at all.

SLI is not a waste of money if you like quality imaging. FPS barely drop under severe loads such as full AA or ANIS. SLI is also run by nVIDIA so they will stick with it and upgrade it as much as they can with new drivers. Its already getting better. Dual 7800GTX 512 is insanely powerful. Have a look....

http://www.hardwareoc.at/Geforce-7800GTX-512MB-SLI-Guide-7.htm

Finally...Intel is a terrible company. That line was ACTUALLY from Dodgeball. But it wasn't EXACTLY that so don't get a headache trying to figure out that little joke....

http://www.aviransplace.com/index.p...rings-home-multicore-gaming-for-the-holidays/

Take those, add games that have dual core patches (like Quake 4) and a ton of new games that are going to support it (Oblivion, Unreal Engine 3.0/UT2007 plus a lot more),then think if you want dual core. A 3800 X2 will out perform a 3700+ or a 4000+ San Deigo in a dual core supported game at stock speeds for sure, then add the proccessing that is being put toward windows and background applications then you got a powerful CPU.

In single core games a 3800+ is plenty adaqute at stock clocks to max out (as long as if you have the video card and RAM)

Single core is still effective but there isn't a point to not buy a dual core cpu if you have the money in this day and age.

BennyV04988 said:
so much to quote! X2 arent worth it for gaming now people! Sheeeesh. When X2s become standard for gaming a 4400 will be a value CPU. Don't you get it?

Opterons are for servers and hes not OC'n so they are not in his best interest at all.

SLI is not a waste of money if you like quality imaging. FPS barely drop under severe loads such as full AA or ANIS. SLI is also run by nVIDIA so they will stick with it and upgrade it as much as they can with new drivers. Its already getting better. Dual 7800GTX 512 is insanely powerful. Have a look....

http://www.hardwareoc.at/Geforce-7800GTX-512MB-SLI-Guide-7.htm

Finally...Intel is a terrible company. That line was ACTUALLY from Dodgeball. But it wasn't EXACTLY that so don't get a headache trying to figure out that little joke....

That would make sense if you ALREADY have a single core CPU but it makes no sense to buy a single core NOW.

It's kind of weird for someone to support SLI but not dual core CPUs becuase it's the same kind of situation. You had a setup when it first came that a lot of things didn't support it (either didn't support it at all period or games only got like a 5% boost or even less performance becuase they weren't designed around it) but games right now and games being made are going to utilize SLI, this is exactly what is happening with dual core, only games now use it and the majority of new games will start to use the processing power of multi-cores.

There is also much more benifits with dual core for gaming like vastly improved multi-tasking.

im saying that SLI is happening now. x2 gaming isnt around yet for the mooost part. When it becomes utilized, the 4400 might be mid market. idk. I have seen the benches though and it does nearly double the FPS. Maybe ill look into it in the near future but i'd wait for something more powerful from x2 maybe. who knows.

I wouldn't go with small form factor if you're getting all that high end equipment. Probably will not fit the 7800GT anyways. You need a lot of ventilation and airflow in the case to keep it happy. I would even get a full tower case instead of a mid ATX case for that purpose.

gosh...now you have me looking at X2s for gaming....id have to buy a fast one to feel its worth it.... lol. *checks newegg* :amazed: very $$$$ for equal performance of in traditional single core gaming...I think ill stick with single and then go for x2 939 when theyre cheap. forget am2 and x2 for now. haha

Opterons can save you the most money...plus they are dual core. The only problem is that the run hotter. Haven't used one but i will be installing one in the next build

EDIT: srry didn't really read the whole thread before i voted. I just realized you aren't oc'in. X2 it is!!

My final set of parts is:

CPU: AMD X2 4400+ (the 4600 doesnt seem to have the full 2k MHz FSB! :confused:)
RAM: 2 GB Corsair XMS
HDD: 74 GB Raptor 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache
VID: eVGA 7800 GT (not going to worry about SLI till later on, would rather have a single high end vid card for now...)
Etc: DVD Burner, onboard LAN and Audio.

EDIT: FINAL SFF BAREBONES PICKS:

1. Shuttle SN25P and SN26P (aka P2500 and P2600). Let's forget SLI for now, so SN25P: $379
350W psu, great.
BUT can it handle the eVGA 7800 GT?

2. Biostar Ideq 330P!
Cute and $299! BUT does the smaller-than-shuttle 300W power source REALLY have the balls to handle everything I am shoving into this machine?
It says on the website that it supports dual core (X2) up to 4800+, and I see that one of you has the Biostar 330P with a dual core in it and it seems to run peachy... but the power worries me.
How does Biostar compare quality wise to Shuttle brand?
BUT can it handle a eVGA 7800 GT?

Shuttle SN25P vs Biostar Ideq 330P: Which will fit an eVGA 7800 GT vid card in it without bursting its pants open?

*cries*

I love you guys for your help! >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom